JanSport Big Bear 82

This is the first internal frame pack I have owned,…

This is the first internal frame pack I have owned, and was purchased based on brand familiarity and price (around $60) 7 months ago. Since purchase this pack has seen rolling, wooded hills, flat open prairie, bright sunny trails and a 6 hr steady rain and has done, in my opinion, a stellar job.

I would recommend this pack to anyone; in fact after its first trip (a 20 mile round trip weekend) I purchased the Big Bear 63 for my wife. I believe this pack exceeded the manufactures claims

Specs: (from manufactures description)

82 L (5000 cu in)

33h x 15w x 12d

6000 denier polyester

3.14 lbs

Fit’s 18” to 20” torso’s

Ergonomic S-curve shoulder straps

Wide hip belt

Dual side water bottle pockets

Top loading with compression hood

Large front panel sleeve

Mesh wet / dry pocket

5 daisy chain clip points

Ice axe loop

Side compression straps

Comfort, price, large capacity.

Top load only, the shoulder strap adjusters slipped when wet.

As a scout leader and moderate backpacker I have always used an external frame pack (the most recent a 4500 cu in pack made by Coleman) due to the ease of packing and the ability to lash on whatever I have needed or felt like carrying, but recently had decided to give an internal frame pack a try.

I like the stability and fit (I am 6' medium build with a 19" torso) of the pack the most (even with loads around 30-35 pounds) compared to the way an external shifts when climbing over logs or ducking a low hanging branch, and feel it is a good trade off for the loss of lashing points (I just started carrying a folding saw instead of a hatchet…lol).

I am not sure if I like the top being the only access to your gear and feel a little more care in how you organize your pack is needed to accommodate this.

If I had to knock this pack for something I would have to say it was the way the shoulder straps would loosen up after they got wet.

I just recently got a Jansport Carson External Pack…

Design: Top-Loading
Size: 5000
Number of Pockets: 4
Max. Load Carried: 25lbs
Height of Owner: 6'-1''

I just recently got a Jansport Carson External Pack for a Father's Day gift. I actually exchanged it for the Jansport Big Bear 82. Both packs are certainly great choices for 1-7 days or more.

The only reason I went to the Big Bear is because I do a lot hiking throughout the Anza Borrego Mountains in Southern California, and the particular trails I go on have a lot of trees and brush to navigate around or through, so basically the Carson External frame kind of made me believe I will be hanging myself up on branches or even maybe losing my balance.

Overall I wish I could have both styles, but I have been influenced to go with the Internal Framed Pack. The only difference in cu-in. space is the Big Bear has about 190 cu-in. more space to pack stuff. I pack a sleeping bag, food, water, clothes, and all the other standard things for a 2-3 day trip, and this Big Bear 82 certainly has plenty of storage space.

This pack weighs 4lbs 2 oz empty. Torso length is 16"-19" adjustable. Ergonomic S-Curve shoulder straps which I like very much. They are very comfortable fitting for my body. The pack does have 1 zipper that allows access from the left side of the pack. I would definitely recommend this Jansport Big Bear.

I've been using this pack for about a year now and…

Size: 5000 ci
Max. Load Carried: 45 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'9"

I've been using this pack for about a year now and have been extremely happy with it. Very light, very durable, and quite comfortable. For the money it is a steal.

Could use more rings to hang gear from, but it is easy to work past.

JanSport Big Bear 82

The JanSport Big Bear 82 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 12, 2013 at SunnySports.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review