User Review: JanSport D2
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $65
Excellent pack for heavy or high volume loads. Very comfortable. Good for the long haul.
I have used mine for canoe/hunt/fishing trips, hike/camping, hiking in to my deer stand with cold weather gear for sub zero days waiting for deer.
- Pack flexes as you walk.
- Hip carry system helps when carrying heavy or long, or both.
- The numerous lashing points are very versatile.
- It can carry HUGE volumes of gear, sometimes too much.
- The main bag has 2 compartments with a zippered divider that you can open to make one huge compartment for extra bulky items. I carried a chainsaw in a plastic case that way.
- It is relatively heavy empty compared to other packs.
I bought my D2 in 1976. It has been on many canoe/camping/fishing trips. The largest load was about 110-115 lbs. The pack was 60-65 lbs and then the 18.5' Wabash Valley kevlar canoe went on top of the upper frame rail. The longest portage was under a mile. Anything over that and it was a double carry.
I carried this pack for over 20 yrs. on hunting trips in Michigan for deer and bear. I would load all of my gear in the pack with my rifle in the right side ski slot. I would walk in to my stand in my long underwear so as not to work up a sweat then put on the insulating gear at my stand.
It is by far the best pack I have ever seen. I would not trade it for anything, including one of the new quasi-clone D2s. They need to duplicate the construction of the original D2s. The 'reintroduced D2' does not compare well with the original D2.