My 9-year-old son tried this pack for a trip with…

Design: Internal
Size: 2050
Height of Owner: 54

My 9-year-old son tried this pack for a trip with his webelos pack. He didn't like the fact that the frame kept hitting him in the head. I know external frames support a more "correct" upright posture, but this frame was too close for comfort. We took it back and got an internal frame, REI Comet, which actually holds more.

I purchased this online over a year ago for my then…

Design: Top-loading, frome.
Size: 2000 cu in
Number of Pockets: 4+ main compartment
Max. Load Carried: About 15 lbs
Height of Owner: 42"

I purchased this online over a year ago for my then 7-year-old. Got a great sale price. He loves this pack, and can carry it full with no problem (full for him is about 10 lbs total). The first time he hiked in it, he actually forgot he had it on!

Nicely fits either a down bag or small synthetic, and a change of clothes, flashlight, compass and a few small toys. Hydration compatible. Very adjustable, and he will be able to use it for several more years at least. Durable; fairly lightweight. He has carried it with more weight for short hikes (1 1/2 mile), and did ok with several stops.