Kelty Tempest

Features: 9mm acetyl frame; curved shoulder straps;…

Design: internal frame - top loading
Size: 2900 cu
Number of Pockets: 2 side, 1 lid
Max. Load Carried: 25-30 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 5"
Price Paid: $80 - retail

Features: 9mm acetyl frame; curved shoulder straps; 2" webbing belt from wrap around wings; Security pocket and key fob inside top lid; double storm collar; 4 compression straps; hourglass daisy chain; ice axe loop; side pockets with ski slots and mesh holsters, sternum strap, daisy chain(not an houglass - do not know what is called) on top lid, and shoulder straps.

A one size that weighs in at 2lb.6ozs.

I absolutely love this pack!

It is the perfect fit for me.

The top lid pocket holds my mess kit, pocket stove and fuel, a couple single serving freeze dried meals, small flashlight, keys, maps, and credit card; I can now fix meals and drinks without having to access the main compartment. All this without hindering the lid's function or fit.

The ski slots and holders are perfect for tent poles. The hipbelt is a cinch to tighten, transfers the load perfectly to my hips, and doesn't work loose. The load is very stable and does not "swing" with sudden movement. I didn't like the halfzipper on the side pockets at first, but then I realized I could reach and obtain gear without anything else falling out, or becoming misplaced. Since I use a self - inflating full length mattress, I attached 2 3/4 inch lashing straps to the bottom (workings already there). I can also sacrifice a side pocket and use the side compression straps for my mattress.

The shoulder straps are quite comfy, and an excellent fit, which is kinda hard to find for women. The weight is comfortable on my shoulders while the hipbelt is undone for fording, etc.

The only way I can think of to improve on this pack would be to add panel access, but I wonder this would be a liability while climbing, and of course add weight.

Another cool thing about this pack is it just happens to be my favorite color - blue!

My wife and I took a 15-day trip to Central America.

Design: Internal frame/technical
Size: 2,900
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: 13 Kgms.
Height of Owner: 5'5''
Price Paid: $80 (retail)

My wife and I took a 15-day trip to Central America. She took the kelty/tempest and I took a Mexican made backpack (Guerret brand). The kelty/tempest had an outstanding performance, however the Guerret came apart at the third day of the trip. Thank God I brought with me a backpack sewing kit and the trip came to a happy ending. Definitelly, I would recommend the Kelty brand widely.

this pack is small for multi day treks, but it has…

Design: internal
Size: 2950ci
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: 35lbs.
Height of Owner: 6'0"

this pack is small for multi day treks, but it has excellent ability to lash the tent and sleeping bag to the top and bottom without flopping. it is also very light (approx 1.5lbs.) and comfortable.

if you want to pack light, start with a light pack!

This sleek overnight pack features a low profile and close fit for increased stability and maneuverability when skiing or off-trail hiking. Curved shoulder straps, acetyl plastic frame and twin vertical aluminum stays help you comfortably carry heavy loads. Large side zip pockets and mesh holster pockets keep water bottles, snacks and other essential gear close at hand. Features compression straps and load-control strap for stability plus slots for carrying skis, and a double storm collar to keep snow and rain out. Daisy chain and single tool loop let you easily attach extra gear and an ice axe on outside of pack. Lid pocket features a security pocket for stashing spare cash; pocket includes a key fob. Special buy.

Kelty Tempest

The Tempest has been discontinued.

The Kelty Tempest is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 3, 2007 at REI.