Kenetrek Waterproofing Boot Wax

Great leather treatment for boots! Good boots are…

Summary

Great leather treatment for boots!

Pros

• Absorbs well into leather
  • Darkens leather
  • Easy application

Cons

• None to speak of.

Good boots are perhaps the most important gear any outdoors-man/woman will ever own. Good boots are a significant investment so it is important to maintain your boots for longevity and functionality.

I treat my leather boots fairly regularly. I have mainly used Nikwax and Himalaya Wax in the past. I also used to use mink oil. The Nikwax and Himalaya Wax worked well but they seemed to leave a visible waxy coating on the surface of the boots that would crack and start peeling off.  The wax didn't seem to absorb into the leather like mink oil does.

I bought some new Asolo boots about a year ago and typically I will wear the boots until the factory waterproofing starts to wear off before the first leather treatment. My boots were due for their first leather treatment so I decided to try a new leather treatment product. My research led me to Kenetrek Waterproofing Boot Wax.

This company is a Montana based company so that was a bonus for me. I like to support Montana retailers. The ingredients of the Waterproofing Wax are not listed other than beeswax and oil. I am guessing the formula is a combination of beeswax and mink oil. It was $30 for 8 oz. of treatment.  Kind of expensive.

I first removed the laces and then cleaned each boot well with water and a brush.

After both boots were clean I put them outside in the sun to dry off well.

After the boots were clean and dry I began to work the boot wax into each boot with a rag.

After getting one application of wax on both boots I then put the boots outside in the warm sun to melt and bake the wax/oil into the boots.  After doing that 2 times I was finished.

Overall I am very pleased with this Kenetrek Boot Wax.  I like the easy application.  I like how it worked into the leather very well and I really like how it darkened up the leather. I did a little water test under the sink and the water beaded off nicely.  I will follow up this review after I get some more use on the new treatment.  I am sure this stuff will work well.

Note: revised review on 10/29/13.  I had the price incorrect. I originally looked at the wrong item on the receipt.

Kenetrek Waterproofing Boot Wax

The Kenetrek Waterproofing Boot Wax is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new footwear cleaner/treatment, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016