L.L.Bean Gore-Tex Mountain Treads, Mid-Cut

I love these boots and Gore-tex is definitely the…

Summary

I love these boots and Gore-tex is definitely the way to go.

Pros

• Waterproof Gore-tex
  • LL Bean satisfaction

Cons

• Slightly narrow
  • Original laces don't stay tied

They are sturdy and comfortable. The Gore-Tex is great, they stay dry even in the wettest trail conditions. I made a bad step into a bog and when I pulled my foot out the muck just rolled off them. Nearly instantly you couldn't even tell that it was just buried in mud.

The break-in time is relatively quick, just a few hikes should do it.

The tread is perfect, it grips the trail wonderfully even in near vertical descents. It's like glue on a rock face. I've experienced no slippage on wet surfaces except as expected on wet leaves.

They seem to keep my feet warm enough although I just bought them Labor Day weekend and it's only the end of October.

The only reason why I didn't give these boots a 5 star rating is because they seemed to me to be a little narrow. I would suggest that if your feet are on the wide side that you do go with the wide and/or a half size up. You also want to make sure, as with any hiking boot, that you have enough room for your heavier hiking socks and to prevent toe-jam on the downhills.

My husband had a pair and after listening to him rave about his for a while I got jealous and had to buy a pair for myself. I love them and won't go out on a trail in anything else now.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Gore-Tex Mountain Treads, Mid-Cut versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 3 reviews for other versions of the Gore-Tex Mountain Treads, Mid-Cut. Read all reviews »

To ensure the very best in comfort and performance, we asked the experts the men and women who wear our boots to help us make these handcrafted waterproof hikers even better on and off the trail. We think you'll agree that their feedback has resulted in day hikers with the best performance and comfort we've offered yet. First, we gender tuned the rugged midsole and lasting board to offer the correct level of support, stability and flexibility with every step. We then added a molded Rubber Vibram outsole that grabs and brakes on even the most hardscrabble terrain. An upper of waterproof leather and breathable Air 8000 mesh is matched with a waterproof, breathable Gore-Tex liner, helping your feet stay dry through everything from summer river crossings to treks in snow and ice. The improved Ortholite sock liner has a special antimicrobial treatment and wicks moisture so feet stay drier on long hikes. The improved lacing system helps you get the most consistent fit. Imported. Fit best with midweight socks. Please note All our day-hiking and backpacking boots require a reasonable amount of break-in time for maximum comfort on the trail.

- L.L.Bean