L.L.Bean Light Stuff 3

Similar to the old North Face Bullfrog and Tadpole,…

Design: 3 season rectangular dome
Sleeps: 2-3
Ease of Setup: extremely easy
Weight: 7 lbs.

Similar to the old North Face Bullfrog and Tadpole, this design improves on them in almost every way. Most important are the clips (like Sierra Designs, but color-coded) making setup a breeze. Headroom is better, and the front screen door stands straight, not angled, so you can leave the fly front zipper open in light rain, if you need ventilation.

This tent is almost perfect, except I would prefer rope instead of webbing on the rear and side fly tiedowns. Fits two full-length and one 3/4-length Thermarest, but the foot area isn't wide enough for three pads. The rear mesh window cannot be closed, but the screen door has a zip-up fabric closure, without which total weight would be well under 7 pounds. Comes with 4 guylines and 14 (!) stakes. Based on my experience with this tent, the Light Stuff 2 must also be a great tent, just a bit smaller and lighter.

I picked this tent up cheap during a closeout on the…

Design: 3 season backpacking
Ease of Setup: very easy
Weight: ~6.5?
Price Paid: $120 on sale

I picked this tent up cheap during a closeout on the color (purple/spruce, it doesn't look bad at all, I don't know why they discontinued it) and it has been absolutely fantastic. I would buy it again at full price without a second thought. It is remarkably easy to set up, sleeps two people comfortably (we even fit three in it once without too much hassle) plus the vestibule is very spacious and can store plenty of gear without problem. A very nice 3 season backpacking tent, it works well in cold weather given adequate tree cover (I wouldn't trust it under a heavy snow load). A very nice tent for the money.

L.L.Bean Light Stuff 3

The Light Stuff 3 has been discontinued.

The L.L.Bean Light Stuff 3 is not available from the stores we monitor.