This jacket was acquired two years ago through a cousin…

Fabric: Nylon Gore-Tex two-layer
Fill: No fill
Price Paid: $169 USD Retail

This jacket was acquired two years ago through a cousin of mine that used to work for L.L. Bean in Maine, and he bought it at a discount price for about $100 USD.

When I received it, I said, “a hundred buck for this piece of nylon?” But, o boy! It’s been one of the best outdoor investments I ever made! It’s light, packable, durable and “keeps you dry”.

I made a trip to Middle East and Europe, taking this jacket as my only outwear garment during a three weeks tour. At the beginning of the trip, I could carry such a jacket into my daypack, without any problem, since the garment was not bulky at all, and weather was hot. But eventually, I had to use it because of foul weather in Europe, especially in Paris, and the jacket performed excellently. Dark colors keep dirt inconspicuous in long trips.

Now, I use it as a “coat” or “trench coat” on top of my suit jacket, and perhaps it doesn’t look very “executive”, but rain, nor cold permeates such jacket.

Highly recommended.

Five days on the Boundary Waters. Four days of rain,…

Fabric: Gore Tex

Five days on the Boundary Waters. Four days of rain, sleet, and hail. A cheap pair of supposedly waterproof rain pants. Never wet or cold. The long length provided good coverage and compensated for the poor pants. Also, I slipped and went down hard on a rock shelf coming off a portage. My elbows still hurt a month later, but not a mark on the parka. At $159, this parka was $50-100 less than anything else I saw in Gore-Tex (most similar parkas were much shorter as well as more expensive). I wish all my gear worked as well.

L.L.Bean Stowaway Jacket

$169.00 (men's)

The L.L.Bean Stowaway Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 17, 2013 at L.L.Bean.

If you're looking for a new waterproof jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review

MSR Evo Ascent Review

Gregory Baltoro 65 Review

The A.T. Guide (2016 Northbound) Review

Weegie Weekenders

Trailspace in the morning...and a new hat idea?