La Sportiva Tarantulace

It is not amazingly comfortable, but it's a rock climbing…

Price Paid: Around $80

Summary

It is not amazingly comfortable, but it's a rock climbing shoe, so it's not supposed to be. It is great for indoor climbing at the gym.

Pros

• Beautiful
  • Good for small holds

Cons

• Back of the shoe rubs my foot

I bought these to go indoor climbing at the YMCA. They are much better than just using normal tennis shoes. I also used the shoes at the Y, but it's nice to have my own pair. I bought them from REI.

I strongly recommend having an employee help you try them on because they will feel tight, but they are supposed to be tight, so they can create a platform with your toes for surfaces without big bumps to step on. I have not yet used them outside, but I am excited to go on a climbing trip in August to try them out for real climbing.

The only issue I have is that they rub my feet a little, especially in the heel area, but that has improved as I broke them in.

I like the fact that it laces up. I feel that laces give the wearer more freedom than velcro when deciding how tight or loose to make the shoe.

I got the Tarantalace in teal blue, and it's very pretty. Everyone who I have talked to has said that La Sportiva is one of the best brands of climbing shoes, and the Tarantulace is very durable.