User Review: Leatherman Wave
Price Paid: $68
After great deal of research into a number of multi-tools I finally selected a Leatherman wave with black oxide finish. The black oxide finish helps with the corrosion protection but mostly it makes the tool look cool. I use this primarily during camping and outings as a scout leader.
- Very sturdy tool, the players are strong and all blades lock very securely.
- The wonder saw works great, I've cut 2 inch diameter branches with it even with the short blade.
- The knife blade is a relatively soft stainless steel 420HC. At first this annoyed me because I was hoping for a harder steel. As it turns out the blade provides better corrosion protection than many of the harder SS metals and is easier to keep sharp.
- Tool operation is excellent the blades open one-handed and the action is smooth and easy.
- All locking mechanisms on the multitool click in nicely, a very secure feeling.
- Removable head on the screwdriver is an excellent feature, it allows a variety of different types of heads to be utilized. It's a bit head does wear out you can simply replace it.
- Can opener works well.
- Rulers stamped into the side can come in handy.
- Very well-thought-out tool.
- 25 year warranty.
- Although the scissors work well they appear pretty flimsy and the way they close could present a cut hazard from the open blade.
- The eyeglass screw bit is worthless. when you use the bit you close up the tool this sets the bit off-center from the main axis of the tool that you will be twisting. The result is a completely unusable tool for precision screw.
- Do not plan to do long whittling projects with this tool. Although it works well for this, after a while the metal edge of the tool will begin to bite into your hand. It is fine for short projects like sharpening a stick but is not suited for longer projects with extensive whittling.
- The larger screwdrivers can be a little awkward to use because when opened it to is off-center of the twisting access. This is a simple limitation of any type of tool of this nature.
- The tool is heavy because of its well-made structure. This can be annoying to some while carrying in a pocket. The nylon carrying pouch is larger than it needs to be.
Overall a very well made and thought out tool. I take it on all my camping outings, always comes in handy. This tool is a little bit more pricey than some of the Gerber tools but in my opinion it is worth it.