Leki Makalu Tour Trekking Poles

Rugged reliable and simply constructed sums up this…

Summary

Rugged reliable and simply constructed sums up this pair of trekking poles.

Pros

• super tough
  • easy to adjust
  • stays adjusted

Cons

• slightly heavy

It has been my experience that just about every hiker I have encountered on the trail since the late nineties, has carried a pair of trekking poles.

Mine have been constant hiking companions since 2000. They don't look new and shiny and the lower sections are beat up and chipped, but they are still strong and straight as new.

When I bought this pair I also bought two replacement tips.  I have never had to replace the tips. I can also say that these poles have been in about every kind of stress you can think of to put on a trekking pole, from being wedged betweeen rocks to serving as a rudimentary chair/seat.
image.jpg

The advantages to these poles are:

1- they are simply constructed. the handles are made of some really tough plastic.  I know most people go for the fancy cork handles, but these are reasonably confortable and they are TOUGH.

2- adjustment on the three sections is simple and locks reliably.

3- the poles fold up reasonably compact size of about 24".  I rarely carry my poles on my pack.  They are always in my hands when I am hiking.

Some things have improved since these were made.  I think that if anything could be improved without sacrificing the amazing toughness of these poles, it might be the weight.  They are a slightly heavy.

If you've owned or used a Leki Makalu Tour Trekking Poles, please share your experience.

Leki Makalu Tour Trekking Poles

The Leki Makalu Tour Trekking Poles is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new rigid trekking pole, check out the best reviewed current models.