LifeSaver Bottle

The company has withdrawn this product: PRODUCT WARNING-…

Summary

The company has withdrawn this product: PRODUCT WARNING- failure of virus removal
This company is now in Receivership.

Pros

• None

Cons

• Too many

Any users or customers should visit the website — http://www.lifesaversystems.com/ — for the official product warnings:

As part of LIFESAVER Systems Ltd (“LIFESAVER”) product monitoring and accreditation systems, LIFESAVER has received independent laboratory test results based on NSF Protocol 231 in relation to Bacteria, Cyst and Virus removal from drinking water on the LIFESAVER Water Filter Bottle 6000uf (“the 6000uf Bottle”) .

Whilst the 6000uf Bottle passed the bacteria and cyst removal testing it did not pass the virus removal testing. NSF Protocol 231 is based on EPA guidelines of 99.99% virus removal, the virus testing returned virus removal results of between 99.9% and 99.995%. Previous test data show virus removal of 99.999%. Whilst the difference in percentage terms between the NSF protocol 231 guidelines and the test data appears to be very small, 99.9% represents a significant decrease in the effectiveness of the virus removal properties.

In light of this information, LIFESAVER recommends that the use of the 6000uf Bottle should be immediately discontinued.

AND

FURTHER TO THE CUSTOMER NOTICE ISSUED ON 28 OCTOBER 2015, IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT, UNTIL A PURCHASER IS FOUND AND FURTHER TESTING CAN BE CARRIED OUT, OR USERS ARE NOTIFIED OTHERWISE, USERS SHOULD REFRAIN FROM USING WATER FILTERS PROVIDED BY LSS

LIFESAVER advises all distributors to quarantine existing stock and

pass on this warning notice to customers and users wherever possible

AND

LIFESAVER SYSTEMS LIMITED (IN ADMINISTRATION)

ANDREW STONEMAN AND BENJAMIN WILES OF DUFF & PHELPS LTD. WERE APPOINTED JOINT ADMINISTRATORS OF LIFESAVER SYSTEMS LIMITED (“LSS”) ON 17 NOVEMBER 2015.

visit their website at lifesaversystems

I am not reviewing this product. I am passing on information so users can be aware. It seems a lot of people are unaware of this "do not use" notice.

Thank you for sharing this important product notice, Jim.

Jim Grant

Thank you Alicia- I noticed that it was still on sale on Amazon, then it dawned on me nobody really knew about it- which is a bit strange as their website notice is quite clear , but they haven't really let the outdoor community know??? !!! how many people out there using it and not aware ? Anyway , thanks for acknowledgement, regards Jim

I'm glad you took the time to share this, Jim. Hopefully it will help spread the word for other consumers.

DrPhun

Seems strange. I didn't think most filters did a good job on viruses, however not good combined with issues noted in other reviews.

Jim Grant

You are correct Dr Phun, as you say not good when combined with other reviews

Jim Grant

most filters do not deal with viruses but some purifiers do. The main problem with lifesaver it was way too complicated in its use and manufacture , the manual is 18 pages long. Many references to cleaning, looking after it properly, replacing seals, replacing carbon accessory every 250 litres, do not drop it from 1 metre/ 3 ft. If you do replace it, do not let it dry out? If you do replace it

Jim Grant

After all that, it seems that even a new one off the production line failed its microbiological reduction claim on viruses. I say it seems because of you were told you had a problem it would seem extremely odd if they did not test ones in their possession to see if they actually had a problem or not. It seems they clearly could not substantiate their claim anymore, we will wait and see, maybe somehow they will come back and tell us everything is ok now!!! Remember the company is for sale , so not sure who would buy a company whose products don't work as claimed but it is a funny old world , maybe they will change the colour and call it something else?

It doesn't work — we used it in Canada. Carbon filter…

Price Paid: full price

Summary

It doesn't work — we used it in Canada. Carbon filter crumbled nearly choking my 5-year-old. It leaked everywhere and we still got Diarrhea. On our return we investigated this British company, they pretend to be humanitarians but are not. Don't buy these products.

Pros

• ask me another day

Cons

• heavy
  • no ease of use

I'm too upset to write a detailed review.

Well, I bought this item with some excitement thinking…

Pros

• Easy to transport
  • Lots of positive hype
  • High tech terminology used to advertise

Cons

• Danger of cross contamination
  • Leaks like crazy
  • Expensive to buy
  • Questionable quality of plastic outer

Well, I bought this item with some excitement thinking this was my answer to using chemical tablets and boiling. Was I wrong.

I read all the positive reviews and watched the videos and thought this was my answer to hiking in the wilds and minimizing weight. When I got the item I followed the instructions to the letter primed etc and noticed small deposits of carbon from the filter passing and settling at the bottom of a test glass, but put this down to it being new.

Went away for the weekend and used water from a fast flowering stream and pumped the water into my canteen. When I got to an area to camp I did the same and got water from a similar stream and pumped the water into a mess tin and found to my horror the water to have a brown tint. I boiled the water to kill off any germs as I had no other clean water, but the damage was done and I had the runs for a couple of days after. Whilst away the system just got steadily worse and leaked from both ends and the water flow was poor.

When I got home I investigated to clean out the filter etc and the carbon filter snapped of in my hand! I have quite a few mates that have done tours in Afghanistan and were issued these and they all said they didn't trust them, hence you see loads on ebay with their other kit for sale.

Honestly, if you're a true outdoors type of person, avoid and save your money.

Welcome to Trailspace, Richard. Sorry for your lousy experience. Try one of the Sawyer models. They are inexpensive, easy to use, and reliable.

Welcome to Trailspace, Richard. Thanks for sharing your experience with this product. I hope you find a better option on Trailspace.

Richard spokes

Thanks guys, I've had a look at the sawyer model and I'm quite impressed,think I'll give it a try, from what I've seen it'll definitely be less bulky than the lifesaver.

Good luck. Please, let us know how it works out for you, Richard.

I received my bottle yesterday and I read the instructions…

Summary

I received my bottle yesterday and I read the instructions and primed it. The bottle works very well. It doesn't explode or choke your kids and you won't void the warranty by filling it with orange juice — provided you RTFM!

Great product, somewhat expensive investment, but I guess you have to pay for the technology.

Pros

• Effective filtration
  • Provides potable water provided there is some water available
  • Reduces need to carry water when hiking

Cons

• Expensive upfront investment
  • Large size for hiking

Read the instruction manual and it will work for you. I have not field tested the bottle yet, so no comment on practical use.

Hi Mike! Gear reviews are most helpful after equipment has been field tested. I once had a filter that worked fine right out of the package and crapped out 2 days into a 6-day trip. I hope you'll take this out on a few outtings and then come back to update your review.

The LifeSaver 4000 Bottle is a cinch to use, easy…

Price Paid: $189CAD

Summary

The LifeSaver 4000 Bottle is a cinch to use, easy to carry and very practical. Simply dip the unscrewed open end into a water source, close the end cap and pump a few times. Open the drinking spout and guzzle. It's that simple. Made in the UK, it's high-tech, durable and tough.

Pros

• Filters down to 0.15 microns to eliminate viruses.
  • Needs no hoses, no chemicals, is self contained filter and water bottle in one; should last for years.
  • Highly adaptable and useable at most water sources, even swamps.

Cons

• Filters should be changed every two years.
  • Filters are somewhat expensive.
  • Contains 0.750 of a liter, so refills are required if sharing with others.
  • Should not be allowed to freeze when filled.

The LifeSaver water bottle filters down to 0.15 microns so is capable of removing viruses without the use of chemicals. Something most portable water filters (if any?) can claim. Purportedly, with ease, it can filter murky swamp water to complete clarity and be drinkable.

Water is treated within seconds and takes just a minute or two to handle and drink. Simply unscrew the bottom, dip the bottle into a water source, or just pour it in if necessary. Close the end cap with a simple twist; pull back the self-contained piston and pump. Lock the piston in place with a single turn and that's all. Then, open the drinking spot and water streams forth.

This is very easy to operate and the nice thing is there's no ceramic filter, no hoses, no balancing and transfer of water to a separate vessel. It can be used virtually anywhere, quickly and conveniently, because it's so simple to fill. Literally your just dipping an open jar into a water source. LifeSaver is an all-in-one product that filters and stores water, so there's no need to carry anything else.

The LifeSaver 4000 holds nearly one litre of water so it's plenty for one person, maybe two, before another dip is required. It's rated to filter 4000 litres of water, just as its name implies. A larger Lifesaver 6000 is available that’ll hold a full litre and will process; you guessed it, 6000 litres.

Our family camps and hikes frequently, so drinking water is always a concern and has to be carried and rationed. No guzzling! Instead, we now use a LifeSaver 4000 Bottle and dip wherever we find water.  Usually, we look for clear running water to prtect filter life, but if necessary would dip into standing, or murky water, but have not done that yet.

So far the product has proven to be durable and tough. It's easy to carry on a belt, back pack strap, or side pouch.

Jim Grant

Holds 1 to 2 lures, you are miles out. Is the size of a 2 litre bottle, actually holds 750ml

Jim Grant

And the product is withdrawn with user warnings not to use them, so if purchased more than 3 years ago, you have to stop using it, because the filter is out of date , if newer contact lifesaver and see if they have fixed the problem of it failing its microbiological lab test - in any case there advise right NOW - DO NOT USE

Bring it along as your main supply of water, but be…

Source:

Summary

Bring it along as your main supply of water, but be sure there's actualy water to filter wherever you're going. Otherwise, use it as a backup to water you bring along. It's very light and easy to carry and works very, very well.

Pros

• Light weight and replaces carrying heavy water.
  • Easy to use.

Cons

• If there's no water source you're in trouble, so be sure of water where you are going if at all possible.

We used the Life Saver 400 bottle on a 3-hour hike in 30 degree weather and filtered all of our drinking water from small streams and clear pools. Absolutely no trouble whatsoever and it supplied water for 2 adults, our eleven year old daughter and 13 year old son.

We dipped numerous times to fill it and pumped the mechanism many times. It worked flawlessly. A nice feature is that it performs somewhat like a water fountain, or spring, that is, water flows because it is pressurized, so there's no requirement to guzzle or glug water as one would from a standard bottle.

Additionally, we've used the jerry can on camping trips and it too works perfectly and as advertised. The jerry can supplies a steady stream of filtered water, is easy to carry due to the the generous, smooth handle and the interior rinses very, very clean should you decide to flush it of residue from smelly water sources. Well worth the money because under normal circumstances sourcing water form clear streams and pools rahter than turbid water I expect it to last for a number of years before the filter has to be changed.

So for recreational hikes and camping 4000 litres will go a long way. Hard core adventurers may want to carry an extra filter if murky water is to be sourced for survival.

Not sure how you managed to block it, mate? I am on…

Price Paid: £120

Not sure how you managed to block it, mate? I am on my second replacement filter after two years and 67,000 miles on our bikes. It's gone through Columbian infested ditch water while hiding from less than happy chaps with guns and an eye for my BMW, to Australian muddy puddle mop ups in the outback and has almost certainly spared me from perishing on a number of occasions.

There are other systems on the market but I bought mine on a personal recommendation from a squaddie friend who was given his on operations in Afghan. Good enough for him, good enough for my ROW trip, and it's never let me down.

It's never "blocked" either, interested to hear what you put in it so I can avoid doing the same! If it gets full of mud just take it apart and give it a rinse out in a river/puddle etc.

I bought this bottle 1 year ago. The first results…

Price Paid: € 189

I bought this bottle 1 year ago. The first results had a strong plastic taste. After one trip outdoors the filter stopped filtering. It blocked completely. I was on a trip for a week; this you don't want in the field. So the trust in this system was damaged immediately.

I sent it back to the shop and received another one. The same issue. After one use just a few drops. I contacted the lifesaver bottle company and didn't receive any answer. So is bad service, bad function, bad taste. This bottle has also a unhandy size. It is too thick and too heavy to carry comfortably in a backpack.

The built quality is also not very durable. It is a kind of plastic that breaks when it falls, so no go for a hard job.

I'm really disappointed in this product. Their marketing is much better then their product. This is sad! I bought an MSR, those systems you can trust.

I certainly do not understand what you could have…

I certainly do not understand what you could have done to make the bottles explode unless you didn't follow the initial priming process that takes less than 5 minutes or you pumped it way too many times.

I have several bottles and one of the new LifeSaver Jerrycans that process 5 gallons at a time. I also know that the systems are used by the military and I've heard lots of good stuff about the humanitarian work the company is doing.

Not sure where you are coming from, but I seem to have had an experience 180 degrees out from yours. Recently drank water on the AP that my friend wouldn't even touch with his Katadyn.

I was all excited receiving the first promotional…

I was all excited receiving the first promotional package of the Lifesaver Bottle. Instead of buying one to try, I bought 5! What a mistake. All the hype and highlights in TED really exaggerated the product. The technology behind the Lifesaver system may be hi-tech, using nano-tech jargon to entice a susceptible buyer.

The bottle exploded 5 out 7 times when I tried to refill it. What's the use of nano-tech if Lifesaversystem can't solve this basic problem? What's more appalling is the response I had from the manufacturer when asked about this problem. Out of 5 emails sent, none was replied!

I doubt the military is using the bottles. Even those African boys in their ads might be tossing the bottles in the sub-Saharan desert. A good pranks to their innocent mates!

By the way, I tried filtering some orange juice. The fluid was clear but it still tastes like orange. I wonder what the taste like to filter sewerage water.

This ultra-filtration system removes viruses and disease…

This ultra-filtration system removes viruses and disease causing pathogens from any water source. The best thing is the size and no cross contamination potential. US Navy SEALs and other Special Operations units are using them.

LifeSaver Bottle

The LifeSaver Bottle has been discontinued.

The LifeSaver Bottle is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 24, 2016 at SunnySports.

If you're looking for a new bottle/inline water filter, check out the best reviewed current models.