Light My Fire Maya Dust

Good to have in your winter survival kit. Threw this…

Summary

Good to have in your winter survival kit.

Pros

• Easy to carry and pack

Cons

• Plastic container
  • Container doesn't seal tight

Threw this on an order I was making to get to a free shipping point. Used it on a recent overnight backpack trip where I was having a little trouble getting my small fire going. Worked great!

Would prefer a small metal (like an altoids tin) instead of the plastic - and have the lid screw on. I worried that it would come open in my pack.

Although very lightweight, the container is not crush-proof…

Although very lightweight, the container is not crush-proof and the Tinder Dust is not very good. It takes a lot of dust to get a good flame and is hard to light with a spark tool.  For lighting the best tool is a lighter or match, i.e. a flame.

I now use cotton squares with one little fingernail sized dollop of Vaseline on each. I fold up (pre-vaselined) and store as many as I can push into a Coghlan's Plastic Match Box. I can use the striker on the bottom of the box and in two strikes I get a flame, 3 inches tall for 2 minutes.

Light My Fire TinderDust is shavings from TinderSticks packed in a convenient waterproof container that is easy to carry in your pocket or backpack. Gives maximum heat energy for minimal weight. Use TinderDust together with our Swedish FireSteel fire starter to light your campfire with ease.

- CampSaver.com

Start your campfire with ease. All natural, environmentally-friendly product. Premium quality. Handy waterproof metal "snuff box" package. Produces an extremely hot flame. Wt: 1 oz.

- Mountains Plus

CLOSEOUTS . Light My Fire TinderDust fire starter is an efficient fire lighter made from pine shavings and stored in a waterproof container. Available Colors: NATURAL.

- Sierra Trading Post

Stop struggling with wet paper and a few measly twigs. Set a dash of Light My Fire TinderDust ablaze and you'll have a hot flame in no time. Made from fatwood pine trees of Mexico, TinderDust is easy to light, even when wet, and produces an extremely hot flame. Waterproof tin conveniently fits in a pants pocket or backpack. Manufactured according to Fair Trade guidelines. Overstock.

Light My Fire MayaDust - Closeout - From the heart of the ancient Mayan Empire, Maya Dust is made from the "Pino de Ocote", a fatwood pine cultivated in the highlands of Guatemala and Mexico. With its 80% resin content, MayaDust is easy to light, even when wet, and produces an extremely hot flame. MayaDust is packed in a convenient waterproof case that is easy to carry in your pocket or backpack. It packs maximum heat energy for minimal weight. Use MayaDust together with our Swedish FireSteel to light your campfire with ease. Features: All natural - no chemical additives, Environmentally-friendly production, Lights even when wet, Handy plastic "snuff box" package, Produces an extremely hot flame, Manufactured according to FAIR TRADE guidelines, No "dangerous goods" shipping restrictions (can ship by air), Available with (blister) or without packaging (bulk).

- Massey's Outfitters