Light My Fire Maya Dust

Good to have in your winter survival kit. Threw this…

Summary

Good to have in your winter survival kit.

Pros

• Easy to carry and pack

Cons

• Plastic container
  • Container doesn't seal tight

Threw this on an order I was making to get to a free shipping point. Used it on a recent overnight backpack trip where I was having a little trouble getting my small fire going. Worked great!

Would prefer a small metal (like an altoids tin) instead of the plastic - and have the lid screw on. I worried that it would come open in my pack.

Although very lightweight, the container is not crush-proof…

Although very lightweight, the container is not crush-proof and the Tinder Dust is not very good. It takes a lot of dust to get a good flame and is hard to light with a spark tool.  For lighting the best tool is a lighter or match, i.e. a flame.

I now use cotton squares with one little fingernail sized dollop of Vaseline on each. I fold up (pre-vaselined) and store as many as I can push into a Coghlan's Plastic Match Box. I can use the striker on the bottom of the box and in two strikes I get a flame, 3 inches tall for 2 minutes.

Light My Fire Maya Dust

The Light My Fire Maya Dust is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 8, 2015 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new fire starter, check out the best reviewed current models.

DeLorme inReach SE Review