Light My Fire Maya Dust

Good to have in your winter survival kit. Threw this…

Summary

Good to have in your winter survival kit.

Pros

• Easy to carry and pack

Cons

• Plastic container
  • Container doesn't seal tight

Threw this on an order I was making to get to a free shipping point. Used it on a recent overnight backpack trip where I was having a little trouble getting my small fire going. Worked great!

Would prefer a small metal (like an altoids tin) instead of the plastic - and have the lid screw on. I worried that it would come open in my pack.

Although very lightweight, the container is not crush-proof…

Although very lightweight, the container is not crush-proof and the Tinder Dust is not very good. It takes a lot of dust to get a good flame and is hard to light with a spark tool.  For lighting the best tool is a lighter or match, i.e. a flame.

I now use cotton squares with one little fingernail sized dollop of Vaseline on each. I fold up (pre-vaselined) and store as many as I can push into a Coghlan's Plastic Match Box. I can use the striker on the bottom of the box and in two strikes I get a flame, 3 inches tall for 2 minutes.

If you've owned or used a Light My Fire Maya Dust, please share your experience.