Light My Fire Swedish FireSteel Scout

The Light-My-Fire Scout is a dependable tool for starting…

Summary

The Light-My-Fire Scout is a dependable tool for starting a fire or lighting a stove. For me, it has worked in every condition and has become my primary method.

Pros

• Always creates a spark, even wet.
  • Only has two parts
  • Compact and lightweight

Cons

• Tinder needs be fairly fine for sparks to catch well when starting a fire.
  • Takes some practice to be most effective.

I initially bought the LMF Scout mostly on a whim and because I thought it would be a fun way to start a fire.   After spending some time learning how to use it, I learned which tinder and grade worked best to effectively start a fire. Lighting a stove is a cinch and really takes no practice. As I continued to use it, I realized that I didn’t need matches or a lighter as a backup and have dropped them from my fire making kit.

Here is a short demonstration:

In conclusion, the LMF Scout is an effective fire starter that I have come to depend on when getting a fire going or lighting a stove. The simplicity of the tool is quick to master with a little practice and can be used as a principal method or tucked away as a backup means when needed.

John, great review. I'm currently testing an MSR product for the Review Corps, and my video is almost identical to yours.

PNW_John

Thanks G00SE. Hope I didn't steal any thunder....

Great minds think alike...

No thunder to steal! More like a gurgling stomach. :P

David Drake

"I initially bought the LMF Scout mostly on a whim and because I thought it would be a fun way to start a fire."… Great review, John! I have the LMF Mini and bought it for two reasons… for the same reason you initially bought yours and, a couple of times, I altogether forgot to carry any form of fire starter prompting me to take excessive measures and purchase the mini along with several lighters and, concurrently, carrying matches. Love 'em!

PNW_John

Thanks David. I hate it when I forget things I need. When that happens to me, I get OCD and check 3 or 4 times that I have everything before I leave the next time.

David Drake

Isn't that funny! Checking 3 or 4 times then carrying 3 or 4 of the same items to compensate.

I keep a list on my computer of everything I take with me. As I pack, I go right down the list and make sure it's all there.

PNW_John

Yeah, I should start a list. Right now, I have items binned for quick access and that has worked pretty well. However, I have gone out on a backcountry flyfishing trip, forgot a stringer and oil to cook the fish :(

Lah

thanks for including the video...great review!

PNW_John

Thanks Lah. It seemed like the best way to capture how well the thing works.

Lah

Like you, I also stopped carrying a lighter and only use the FireSteel, but usually just to start my canister stove. Once that is lit, you can use the stove to light anything else, but carefully:). Actually, I bought the mora knife/striker combo, which I like very much. I'll try to do a video similar to yours with the knife. Simple but effective.

PNW_John

I would like to see that. I have looked at the Mora/striker combo before but, figured I already have a striker that works fine. I also have two Moras, the classic #2 and the Companion HD. They are great knives for money.

I got one of these from Europe. At first, I was suspicious…

Summary

I got one of these from Europe. At first, I was suspicious about how such a technology could light a fire (which is hard enough in good conditions when you don't know what you're doing). I tried it on some dry grass that had gotten soaked in a downpour, and after about 20 strikes, I lit my fire. So it does work. And it seems to me that the rod itself will last for many years — all my strikes hardly smoothed the surface at all.

Pros

• It works on wet fuel.
  • It is highly transportable, and a good camping aid.

Cons

• I like ultra-lightweight goods, so this could have been more compactly made.

At first, this wasn't easy to use. But after a few minutes and gripping like heck, I got the movements correct. From then on, it was very easy. And it was fun watching the sparks fly.

I also felt it was safe to pack away immediately afterwards without the hazard of heat or flame erupting — and that's a good thing.

It's very simple, and it does live up to expectations.

It is well made. It's pretty hard not to make a well-made rod of iron, isn't it? You can feel it is really solid, so I have confidence in mine. Mine is new, so ask me in a few years if it's stood up to the test of time, which I am sure it will.

I've only used it 3 times, and on each occasion, I had to work to get my flame, but got it fairly easily. And that was the objective. I used it in the dry, the breeze and the wet — it works, with varying levels of success depending on the conditions, but it does light fires in all cases I tried.

A worthwhile invention.

This is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It…

This is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It starts a fire quick and the fire steel even works when wet. It seems to work better the firmer the scrape is, so make sure you get a good firm scrape on the fire steel to get the most spark possible. No baby scrapes. The element also comes with a coating so before you use it for the first time make sure scrape it all off.

Originally developed for the Swedish Department of Defense, Swedish FireSteel fire starter is a flash of genius. Its 3,000°C (5400°F) spark makes fire building easy in any weather, at any altitude. Used by a number of armies around the world, Swedish FireSteel's dependability has already made it a favorite of survival experts, hunters, fishermen, and campers. It has also found its way into cabins and backyards as a foolproof way to light stoves and gas barbecues.

Visit Light My Fire's Swedish FireSteel Scout page.

Originally developed for the Swedish Department of Defense, Swedish Light My Fire FireSteel Scout is a flash of genius. Its 3,000C spark makes fire building easy in any weather, at any altitude. Used by a number of armies around the world, Swedish FireSteel's dependability has already made it a favorite of survival experts, hunters, fishermen and campers. It has also found its way into cabins and backyards as a fool-proof way to light stoves and gas-barbecues.

- CampSaver.com

CLOSEOUTS . The Light My Fire Scout fire starter utilizes Swedish Firesteel to produce a spark even when wet and cold. This handy tool is essential for hunters, backpackers and survivalists. Available Colors: ASSORTED, RED.

- Sierra Trading Post

Durable fire starter that lasts for 1,500 (mini), 3,000 (Scout), 12,000 (Army & BBQ) strikes. Works equally well when wet. Produces a 3000 degree C spark. Lights campfires, stoves & gas BBQ's. Bright spark can be used as an emergency signal. Approved by the International Survival Instructors Association. Army is Black only. Barbeque features sturdy oak handle.

- Vargo Outdoors

The Firesteel Scout from Industrial Revolution Features: Produces a 3000 C (5,500 F) spark, bright spark can be used as emergency signal Lights campfires, stoves, gas barbecues Lasts 3,000 strikes Works when wet Weight: 1.8oz

- Appalachian Outdoors