Light My Fire Swedish FireSteel Scout

The Light-My-Fire Scout is a dependable tool for starting…

Summary

The Light-My-Fire Scout is a dependable tool for starting a fire or lighting a stove. For me, it has worked in every condition and has become my primary method.

Pros

• Always creates a spark, even wet.
  • Only has two parts
  • Compact and lightweight

Cons

• Tinder needs be fairly fine for sparks to catch well when starting a fire.
  • Takes some practice to be most effective.

I initially bought the LMF Scout mostly on a whim and because I thought it would be a fun way to start a fire.   After spending some time learning how to use it, I learned which tinder and grade worked best to effectively start a fire. Lighting a stove is a cinch and really takes no practice. As I continued to use it, I realized that I didn’t need matches or a lighter as a backup and have dropped them from my fire making kit.

Here is a short demonstration:

In conclusion, the LMF Scout is an effective fire starter that I have come to depend on when getting a fire going or lighting a stove. The simplicity of the tool is quick to master with a little practice and can be used as a principal method or tucked away as a backup means when needed.

G00SE

John, great review. I'm currently testing an MSR product for the Review Corps, and my video is almost identical to yours.

PNW_John

Thanks G00SE. Hope I didn't steal any thunder....

1 month ago

Great minds think alike...

No thunder to steal! More like a gurgling stomach. :P

David Drake

"I initially bought the LMF Scout mostly on a whim and because I thought it would be a fun way to start a fire."… Great review, John! I have the LMF Mini and bought it for two reasons… for the same reason you initially bought yours and, a couple of times, I altogether forgot to carry any form of fire starter prompting me to take excessive measures and purchase the mini along with several lighters and, concurrently, carrying matches. Love 'em!

PNW_John

Thanks David. I hate it when I forget things I need. When that happens to me, I get OCD and check 3 or 4 times that I have everything before I leave the next time.

David Drake

Isn't that funny! Checking 3 or 4 times then carrying 3 or 4 of the same items to compensate.

G00SE

I keep a list on my computer of everything I take with me. As I pack, I go right down the list and make sure it's all there.

PNW_John

Yeah, I should start a list. Right now, I have items binned for quick access and that has worked pretty well. However, I have gone out on a backcountry flyfishing trip, forgot a stringer and oil to cook the fish :(

Lah

thanks for including the video...great review!

PNW_John

Thanks Lah. It seemed like the best way to capture how well the thing works.

Lah

Like you, I also stopped carrying a lighter and only use the FireSteel, but usually just to start my canister stove. Once that is lit, you can use the stove to light anything else, but carefully:). Actually, I bought the mora knife/striker combo, which I like very much. I'll try to do a video similar to yours with the knife. Simple but effective.

PNW_John

I would like to see that. I have looked at the Mora/striker combo before but, figured I already have a striker that works fine. I also have two Moras, the classic #2 and the Companion HD. They are great knives for money.

1 month ago

I got one of these from Europe. At first, I was suspicious…

Summary

I got one of these from Europe. At first, I was suspicious about how such a technology could light a fire (which is hard enough in good conditions when you don't know what you're doing). I tried it on some dry grass that had gotten soaked in a downpour, and after about 20 strikes, I lit my fire. So it does work. And it seems to me that the rod itself will last for many years — all my strikes hardly smoothed the surface at all.

Pros

• It works on wet fuel.
  • It is highly transportable, and a good camping aid.

Cons

• I like ultra-lightweight goods, so this could have been more compactly made.

At first, this wasn't easy to use. But after a few minutes and gripping like heck, I got the movements correct. From then on, it was very easy. And it was fun watching the sparks fly.

I also felt it was safe to pack away immediately afterwards without the hazard of heat or flame erupting — and that's a good thing.

It's very simple, and it does live up to expectations.

It is well made. It's pretty hard not to make a well-made rod of iron, isn't it? You can feel it is really solid, so I have confidence in mine. Mine is new, so ask me in a few years if it's stood up to the test of time, which I am sure it will.

I've only used it 3 times, and on each occasion, I had to work to get my flame, but got it fairly easily. And that was the objective. I used it in the dry, the breeze and the wet — it works, with varying levels of success depending on the conditions, but it does light fires in all cases I tried.

A worthwhile invention.

This is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It…

This is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It starts a fire quick and the fire steel even works when wet. It seems to work better the firmer the scrape is, so make sure you get a good firm scrape on the fire steel to get the most spark possible. No baby scrapes. The element also comes with a coating so before you use it for the first time make sure scrape it all off.

If you've owned or used a Light My Fire Swedish FireSteel Scout, please share your experience.