Bindings disappointing, didn't fit around boot and…

Price Paid: $200 Cdn on sale

Bindings disappointing, didn't fit around boot and heel moved.

• Well made
  • Sturdy deck
  • Good crampons

• Binding wrong shape for boots
  • Heel slides to inside of snowshoe
  • Wide at front
  • Binding adjustments tight

I did a lot of research before I bought these to replace my 20-year-old super reliable Tubbs. Unfortunately, I will be returning them and looking for something else.

The binding system, which was why I chose these, didn't fit properly around my boot, no matter how I adjusted them (and I'm a gear junkie, I tried lots of variations of foot position and tension). There were gaps at the front part of the wrap around the boot and as I walked, my heels slipped to the inside of the snowshoes. The heel plate is quite smooth so that didn't help.

The Boa system was pretty easy to use but the knobs that have to be pulled out to loosen and snapped in to tighten are snug and can take a firm pull to move, not easy with mitts or even gloves on. I found these snowshoes a bit wide at the front (8 inches) so that they sometimes contacted as I moved one shoe forward.

They had pretty good crampons and traction even on steep ups and downs and seem to have very durable construction in general.

Welcome to Trailspace, Sohlea! I'm sorry to hear that these snowshoes didn't work out. With what boots did you try to use them? Also, out of curiosity, what model is your older Tubbs pair you like? (Perhaps they're worth a review...)

Sohlea Rico

I used my hiking boots which are fairly substantial boots, about as wide as my winter boots. Perhaps these bindings fit better on snowboarding boots but the angle of the binding is spreads outward rather than wrapping around the toe of the boot. I don't even know what model the Tubbs are. Over 20 years old. Thanks for getting in touch. Sohlea

Phil Smith

I've noticed that unlike brands such as Atlas, MSR, and Tubbs, Garneau doesn't have women-specific bindings, so unless you have feet on the largish side for a woman the bindings probably won't tighten down very well.