Madden Equipment Meridian

I have owned several Maddens over the years. They…

Design: Panel loader
Size: 4500 cu in
Number of Pockets: 1
Max. Load Carried: 50 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 11"

I have owned several Maddens over the years. They have all been excellent packs so when I saw this one at Sierra Trading Post for $79 I jumped on it. It has proven to be a trusty travel companion. It is large enough for me to travel with for months on end.

Most recently I took a 3 week West Coast trip and this pack was both comfortable and convenient. The zip off day pack is a wonderful carry on size and the small top pocket is just the right size for those small items that need to be found quickly. I love the three sets of side compression straps, waterproof zippers and super tough mesh wand pockets. The suspension (two aluminum stays that I shaped to my back, plastic frame sheet and two delrin hoops) make for a stable and comfortable ride with 50 lbs. 1000 denier cordura throughout makes it a little heavy but it is still a great deal. I use a separate duffel to keep the buckels and straps safe. All in all the quality and convenience I have come to expect from Madden Mountaineering.

Sadly, they closed shop about 5 years ago and these are no longer produced.

This Madden expedition backpack with a detachable daypack is designed for use on weekend outings when carrying capacity and versatility are critical. Top-closing main compartment with water-resistant clamshell closure Side mesh water bottle pockets Sleeping bag compartment Compression straps Detachable daypack with daisy chains for short excursions Contoured, padded, adjustable shoulder straps Sternum strap Padded, contoured 2

- Sierra Trading Post

Madden Equipment Meridian

The Meridian has been discontinued.

The Madden Equipment Meridian is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.