Magellan eXplorist 300

I have had this GPS unit for about a year now and…

I have had this GPS unit for about a year now and I still don't really know how to use it. The background maps are great for when you are traveling but they aren't much use when you are out in the wilderness. I think the GPS is very durable. I have taken it on several backpacking trips and canoeing trips and not once has it konked out on me. It is sometimes frustrating as with any GPS when you aren't getting a clear signal or when it takes forever to find one when you first boot up the GPS. I really thought that I was going to get way more use out of the GPS but sadly sometimes my map is just as good.

It really is a good GPS if you can get it for cheaper than what I got it for. I had a gift certificate which is why I got this one. If I had to buy a GPS again I would spend the extra money and get one that you can download maps in to.

eXplorist 300 has a trio of advanced tools in addition to those found in the 100 and 200 models for even easier navigation. Built-in barometer keeps tabs on the changing weather, an accurate sensor-based altimeter displays current elevation. On-board electronic compass shows your direction, even while standing still. WAAS-enabled TrueFix™ technology uses 14 parallel channels (most units use 12) to provide precise position fixes and improved tracking. Built-in North American background maps offer convenient access to roads, parks, waterways, airports and more. One-button access quickly takes you to primary functions. Compact and lightweight, this GPS unit slips easily into a shirt pocket. Stores up to 500 waypoints, 20 reversible routes and 5 track logs with up to 2,000 points each. Four-level grayscale LCD display with zoom capability; amber backlighting ensures optimum viewing, even at night. Rugged, highly impact-resistant, rubber-armored exterior; water-resistant to rigid IPX-7 standard.

The Magellan Explorist 300 GPS unit equips you with 8 MB of built-in maps, a barometer, an altimeter, and an electronic compass. It features TrueFix technology which takes advantage of 14 parallel channels, supported by WAAS and EGNOS for fast signal acquisition, minimal signal loss and reliable accuracy to within 3 meters. You can use it to save up to 5 track log files, 500 points of interest and 20 routes.

- FogDog Sports

Magellan eXplorist 300

The Magellan eXplorist 300 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 27, 2006 at REI.

If you're looking for a new gps receiver, check out the best reviewed current models.