Manzella Chinook Windstopper Gloves

I wish they resisted coming apart as well as they…

Summary

I wish they resisted coming apart as well as they resist the cold.

Pros

• Warm
  • Soft
  • Liners fit underneath
  • Pocket for hand warmer
  • Very windproof

Cons

• Take A LONG TIME to dry if wet
  • Seams came apart after about one year of use

Remember the Gremlins movie that warned about bad things happening if you got the little rascals wet? That applies to these gloves.

Manzella makes these gloves by sandwiching a Gore-type membrane between two thin layers of soft fleece. The combination makes the gloves pretty warm without the bulk of your average ski-type gloves.  This membrane is the best and worst part of the gloves; it stops the wind very nicely but they also keep the gloves from drying out once you get them wet.

I wear them duck hunting and dog sledding mostly with a few trips out in the snow down to temps in the 20 degree (Fahrenheit) range.  Of course they get wet once in a while and, while they don't freeze and they retain some heat while wet, they stay wet a long time.  In their defense though they do not claim to be waterproof so it's not exactly fair to judge them for it, but all gloves will get wet eventually so I mentioned it.

I wear size large gloves for everything else and the size large fit me with these too, even with a pair of wool liners under them.

After a couple seasons of moderate use I was disappointed when one of the seams came unraveled and I had to repair then. They are fleece so the fix was easy and I couldn't even see my repair (I am a weak tailor) so no big deal.

A bonus was when I found the hand warmer pouches inside them when I turned them inside out to sew the seam back together.  I didn't know it was there for the first two seasons I had them (oops). I'll try the pouches out if I have a chance in the near future.

Bottom line is that they are fine to 20 degrees or so unless you put a set of liners under them BUT DO NOT WEAR THEM IF YOU ANTICIPATE GETTING WET.

If you've owned or used a Manzella Chinook Windstopper Gloves, please share your experience.

Manzella Chinook Windstopper Gloves

The Chinook Windstopper Gloves has been discontinued.

The Manzella Chinook Windstopper Gloves is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 3, 2012 at Gear for Adventure.

If you're looking for a new fleece glove/mitten, check out the best reviewed current models.