Marmot CWM Dryloft

I love this sleeping bag!!!! I have another winter…

Design: mummy
Fill: 775+ fill down
Temperature Rating: -45F
Weight: 4lbs. 8oz
Price Paid: Employee Discount..... ~$340 US.

Summary

I love this sleeping bag!!!! I have another winter bag with a similar temp rating (a conservatively rated -20°F) that I've used more frequently if for no other reason than I've not been out in the extremes the CWM is capable of.

Pros

• fantastic insulation to -30°F
  • superb construction quality
  • great warmth/weight ratio
  • shell material kept insulation dry in "humid" condensation laden winter tent
  • big, toothy zipper never fails

Cons

• it's DISCONTINUED

Have used it on several sub-zero trips and as low as -10°F. I had to open up the bag to cool off. At 5'11" the Reg. length was perfect. A bit heavy, but in the real cold, insulation often equates self-preservation.

If you are going out in the Winter anywhere North or High this is your bag. You can spend more, but you get nothing more in return — other bags are heavier, not necessarily warmer.

Update: July 18, 2012

In those exceptional temps, it's very common for condensation from breathing to saturate a sleeping bag's insulation and compromise loft — not so with the DryLoft the CWM shell is made from. I've *never* had a moist bag/shell material.

When in temps cold enough to require a bag of this magnitude, I've found it imperative to incorporate a Vapor Barrier Liner (VBL) to ensure I'm not saturating the sleeping bag from the inside out. This also helps to keep the bag clean and odor free (except around the face/head opening, which is easy to clean with a damp cloth).

I've had this bag for 14 years now and I've not found the insulation to be any less than when it was new. Admittedly, it's been a couple years (2004) since i've had it out in the deep cold, but I store it well and check it over semi-annually and the loft hasn't measurably changed (~10").

very, very, very warm, with plenty of room to move…

Design: mummy
Fill: 775+ fill down
Temperature Rating: -45 F
Weight: 4lbs. 8oz.

very, very, very warm, with plenty of room to move and to stuff shedded clothes in the foot

Marmot CWM Dryloft

The CWM Dryloft has been discontinued.

The Marmot CWM Dryloft is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new cold weather down sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.