Marmot Eclipse 1P

The best one in my 31 years of hiking. Dry when rain,…

Source: tried it in the store

Summary

The best one in my 31 years of hiking. Dry when rain, comfortable for my size (6'-2") and extra room for my pack.

Pros

• The fly kept the rest of the tent always dry.
  • I can put it together in three minutes.
  • Very light for what you get.

Cons

• it needs larger stakes.
  • Too bad it was discontinued.

I have used this tent for the last 6 years on my trips hiking the AT in the south and the north, through all different seasons and weather conditions. I was surprised by how well this particular design upheld against strong wind and rain.

I have never had any problem with condensation, drafts, or ventilation. It kept me cool in the summertime and warm in the winter, always providing enough space for me and my sleeping gear. The fly stakes could be a little longer, and the tent should come with a footprint.

Other than that, my only regret is that I did not purchase a second one before they were discontinued.

Finding one of these tents was the most difficult…

Design: Three season
Ease of Setup: Beautifuly Simple!
Weight: Less than 5 pounds

Finding one of these tents was the most difficult task and well worth the effort. (was discontinued in 2007?)

Plenty of room in this one (A seven foot individual would be well served).

Everything about this tent is great. Bring along 'extra long' stakes for windy conditions. I found modifying the fly with 550 cord for strong staking points provided maximum security and worked best.

The zippers are great, the mesh is sound and I can put this tent up blindfolded if I am ever caught short in terrible weather.

Calm winds (less than 5 knots) and heavy rain day after day for weeks on end had little effect on this tent. It remained dry and comfortable in spring, summer and fall.

Marmot should bring this tent back on line. Under 5 pounds and worth carrying for my hiking trips both for the comfort and security it provides.

Absolute 5 Stars *****

Thanks,

Jeff

This tent is only a good starting point if you're…

This tent is only a good starting point if you're looking for a freestanding one-person tent tall enough to sit up. I customized mine, because it had two big drawbacks. I couldn't see around me when the rainfly was in place, a big problem when you're camping alone, wondering about mysterious noises. So I had two windows sewn into the fly, one on either side.

Also, I couldn't bring down the rainfly from inside (I wanted it up for ventilation until the rain started to fall), so I had a zipper sewn in by the foot of the tent and a button added to the fly. Now I can keep the base of the fly buttoned up during dry weather and unbutton it, unfold, and stake it during rain, all without leaving my tent.

I decided to purchase this tent for a few reasons.

Design: Three season freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: simple
Weight: 3 lb (min)
Price Paid: $189 (I think)

I decided to purchase this tent for a few reasons. First, and foremost, I wanted a 1 person tent for backpacking. It is light, simple to set up, and if you don't need the rain fly, you don't need those pesky tent pegs (free-standing with only 2 poles). It is wide enough for my wife and I to sleep head-to-toe without any discomfort - we are both about 5 ft 7 in. tall and of smaller build. I once was able to sleep myself, my 5 year old, 3 year old, and our Australian Shepherd for a night (this proved difficult, but hey, we made it!). The gear loft and footprint are a must. The ventilation is ample, and the interior room is perfect for someone my size. I am able to fit a full pack inside while I sleep. The vestibule is large enough for one pack as well. For overall weight, fit, and functionality, I would recommend this tent without question.

Pretty good tent, I have enjoyed it for the past 2…

Design: three season 1 person tent
Ease of Setup: simple
Weight: 3

Pretty good tent, I have enjoyed it for the past 2 years.

If you've owned or used a Marmot Eclipse 1P, please share your experience.

Marmot Eclipse 1P

The Eclipse 1P has been discontinued.

The Marmot Eclipse 1P is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at Altrec Outdoors.