Marmot Genesis Jacket

The Genesis is a pretty minimal design. I usually…

Price Paid: Sample provided for review

The Genesis is a pretty minimal design. I usually like to see a removable hood, a bunch of interior and exterior pockets, pit zips and a powder skirt (although that’s not necessarily a deal breaker) in a ski jacket.

The Genesis has some of these features. You get the standard handwarmer pockets, an ample hood (it doesn’t detach but can be rolled and secured with a hook and loop tab) and dual-direction pit zips. The interior pockets are interesting. There’s a small one that zips closed for valuables and another – not quite a pocket really, but a special holder for your MP3 player – which, although kind of neat, doesn’t look large enough for an iPhone or iPod Touch.

For a more complete review and photos visit GearGuide.

Overall it is a pretty good softshell, looks great…

Fabric: softshell
Price Paid: 180

Overall it is a pretty good softshell, looks great fairly waterproof lots of features. My problem with Marmot is they do not know how to do velcro. I had a Kingpin softshell and had the same problem with flimsy velcro on the cuffs and hood adjustment although seems like it will be pretty warm and has room for a 100wt. fleece under it.

Fit is good. I am 5,8 170 and med fits good. I had an Outdoor Research Mithril and this is much better. Other then the velcro I would buy it again, but not for 399 cad. I think the most I would pay is 250 or so but I hate to pay retail for anything.

This was my first softshell jacket ever. As a long…

Fabric: Marmot softshell

This was my first softshell jacket ever. As a long time skier I had always had the usual Gore-Tex shell. This jacket is fantastic. Stretch softshell is great for mobility, large hood fits over a ski helmet and hood has a visor as well, no stitching (seem welded) and all waterproof zippers ensure nothing will get through, all adjustments are easily done with one gloved hand - cuffs, waist drawcord, hood drawcord, zippers, the coat is lined with a dense soft fleece that feels great against skin. I recommend this coat to any winter sports enthusiast. Marmot continues to make the best outwear on the market.

If you've owned or used a Marmot Men's Genesis Jacket, please share your experience.

Marmot Men's Genesis Jacket

The Marmot Men's Genesis Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 23, 2013 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.

Weight 1 lb 8 oz / 680.4 g