men's
Weight 9 oz / 255.1 g
Main Material PreCip® 2.5 100% Nylon Ripstop 2.7 oz / yd

Great for hiking, backpacking, any wet or chilly to…

Summary

Great for hiking, backpacking, any wet or chilly to cold weather.

Pros

• Keeps you dry
  • Full length zips on each leg
  • Stretch waist, flexible to fit over shorts, pants, etc.

Cons

• Rarely use the pockets
  • Not the best for snow

Rainpants-front.jpg

Rainpants-side.jpg

Summary
- These are my go-to rain protection pants when hiking and backpacking. The full length leg zippers can not be overrated — adds ventilation when needed, easy to put on quickly in sudden downpour, and zippers do not leak in heavy rain.

My Use - These pants have had a lot of wear on mountain backpacks in the Rockies and Sierras. Also great on day hikes in the rain when I want to be out for at least several hours and remain comfortable. I don't mind wet legs if I know I can warm up afterwards. But when backpacking or camping, staying dry is critical for ongoing comfort not to mention hypothermia, so rain pants are essential.

My Criteria - Adjustability & Ventilation First, then Fit - A rain pant needs to have full length zippers, be breathable, and fit well. I wear it over shorts, sometimes over long johns or pants.  The full length zippers are critical for ventilating — open up the top for ventilation while the bottom is closed (where puddles, streams, and most of rain hits). See picture.

The full length zippers also enable access to shorts or pants pockets, and allow you to put on rain pants without taking off boots. This is a nice convenience, that quickly becomes a huge benefit when mountain rain showers start suddenly. This rain pant has the ventilation and adjustability features I require. Next comes fit, and this pant fits me well, see pic and Sizing. For me, its not too tight, is flexible to fit over shorts or pants or long-johns and not too airy to feel like I am wearing bozo pants.

Durability - After 3 seasons of extended backpacking use, they are still performing well. I do take care of them, rinsing off dirt after each outing. To protect the seat of the pant, I am careful where I sit, selecting smooth rocks and not twisting while sitting. Not always possible but I try. A little secret -  I bring a small ensolite pad to sit on and I believe that has saved the seat of these pants, and it is comfortable and warmer than a cold rock. I try to stay away from scraping on rocks with pant legs but it happens and no holes at lower end yet, outer fabric appears to be durable.

Thoughts on Improvements - The side zippers work great, have had no problem with them, but they are a bit bulky. Makes me wonder if there is a lighter zipper that is still functional and would make the pants lighter. Also the two front pockets and one rear pocket are nice but overall I don't use them, I access the pockets in shorts or pants underneath. Taking these pockets and associated zippers out would make the pants lighter and fold up smaller.

Also a slightly tougher seat would help for sitting on rocks, cuts down on wear and tear.

Sizing - My short legs typically create sizing issues. Marmot makes these in different lengths for each size category S, M, L.  I have a 32 -34 inch waist and a 29 - 30 inch inseam, and use the Medium Short.

Rain or Snow? - I use these pants for rain only. If it's in the transition zone where it's cold enough to rain or snow, I will take these because they shed moisture better than snow pants. But if it's a winter day, snow pants are my preference.

Overall - A great pant that I will re-purchase when they wear out. Now if there were a version without pockets and associated zippers, it would be the ultimate. Although sometimes I do like those pockets, I can do without them and as I get older I am looking for ways to lighten the load for backpacking.

Great waterproof rain pants! Lightweight and durable.

Summary

Great waterproof rain pants! Lightweight and durable. Zippers and snaps on legs and an elastic drawstring at the ankles make this the best rain pant out there!

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Zippers
  • Drawstring/elastic waist
  • Drawstring/elastic bottoms
  • Knee high side leg zippers
  • Snaps at ankles

Cons

• None

I bought these last year to actually wear with a base layer and hiking pant to make a good snow pant and it worked great! The weather and activity on the mountain can change quickly so instead of snow pants I thought layering was the key, and I was right!

I never even wore my Mammut snow pants that cost me a fortune this year. I just wore layers with the rain pants on top. When I got off the snow I took the Precip Pants off with no need to use a dressing room because my hiking pants were underneath.

These pants are lightweight and do the job. No need for anything else. I have heard that the rainstorms come on pretty quickly in the High Sierras, so I will be including these pants with my gear for the JMT. I'm sure they will come in handy out there.

Noisy... nothing like a too stiff pant that makes…

Summary

Noisy... nothing like a too stiff pant that makes voice no matter what you do or your size. Can not stand on the trail, no way could you use for hunting. I only keep mine because I like to get out of the vehicle and sit even in the rain or snow... would NEVER BUY AGAIN

Pros

• waterproof

Cons

• noisy
  • stiff feel
  • runs short, even shorter than described

I am just gonna say "NO!"

I have used these pants for snowshoeing about a dozen…

Price Paid: Gift (Retail $75)

I have used these pants for snowshoeing about a dozen times and recently took them out for a hike in some steady drizzle.  Not 20 minutes from the trailhead, these pants were showing signs of wetting out.  I stayed out for about 2 hours, and by the time I was finished the thighs of the pants were completely wet, inside and out.

Specs that I have found online indicate that this fabric supposedly carries a fairly hefty 15000mm waterproof rating. Despite this, these pants couldn't hold out a steady but light rain for more than half an hour.

I will contact Marmot to see if they care to do anything about the product, as I am hoping that this product is simply defective. Otherwise I will keep these as strictly a winter shell pants, as they do work well for keeping the wind out without adding bulk. If these pants are not defective, then I am not even sure why I would even add the 9 measly ounces to my pack weight.

The pants are otherwise well constructed. The 1 rear pocket and 2 front pockets are shallow but adequate, and the drawcord works well if you need to tighten them up. If they actually kept out the rain, I would most likely own several.

Marmot claims that the new PreCip (Spring 2011) is now "more durably waterproof and breathable than ever". I am not sure if this is a problem with the older model of PreCips, but hopefully they will replace the product.

These are the Timex of pants - takes a licking and…

Price Paid: On sale $59

These are the Timex of pants - takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Not that I recommend or advocate licking pants. Maybe I should say the EverReady of rain pants, Just keeps on going. A real value. Very functional. Dry. Breaths well. Durable for the weight.

The DWR stays on and I never had them "wet out". I have used my Precip Pants for two years in all kinds of weather. I never babied them. Washed them with regular laundry. The partial leg zip allows enough room to slide my size 11 Asolo 535's in and out with a little effort. There is a drawcord and a snap at the bottom to adjust the cuff. The pockets are very functional and can be used to vent (a little).

The fit is good - no issues with "crotch stop" while high legging over obstacles. I never feel them when I am wearing them and that's a good thing. They do breath pretty good and the interior laminate has never peeled or shown any wear. I have sat on rocks, logs, pavement and kneeled on all kinds of stuff without abnormal signs of wear. The nylon laminate fabric is thin, but wears well under normal use.

I recently got on a trail that had a lot of blow downs and sawbriars along with a sugar coating (snow). My pants got ripped up really bad. I sewed and selaed them and wore them the next weekend for a 5 day that included rain, snow and very cold wind - no problems.

Amount of use --I backpack 100 or more days/year in Tennessee and North Carolina where it rains/snows a lot. These pants have been well tested and never failed me. For the money these are a fantasitc value.

My Precip Jacket is 5 or so years old and still sheds wind and water and is still extremely functional. (jacket has been retired from trail use, and is used at work) Precip is good stuff.

I recently bought a Marmot Minimalist Jacket and may get the pants as well - or I'll just get another pair of Precip Pants. Either way I am sold on the Marmot name. Good product - I would highly recommend these pants.

I read a lot of reviews about these pants before I…

I read a lot of reviews about these pants before I bought both my wife and myself a pair. Some people thought they sucked, but I already had the Marmot Precip Jacket and I love that so how bad could the pants be.

My wife and I went on a 4 day rafting trip, 3 of those days it was very windy and rainy. The pants worked incredibly well. They were easy to put on and off over our muddy shoes, very breathable allowing my wet pants to dry while still wearing all my layers. And the waterproofing was waterproof, imagine that.

They're very lightweight and easy to stow and carry, but I think if you're rough on your gear these pants may be too lightweight. My wife was very, very pleased with the pants and in the end a dry, warm girlfriend or wife is all that matters.

Bought these for general rain wear/to take hiking…

Bought these for general rain wear/to take hiking in the mountains/rainy bike rides. All in all I like them very much the fabric is fine but seems like it could rip. I think they are rated at 15000 for waterproofness but I managed to soak them through (a little) once while spending four hours in a steady rain while power washing my deck. A brutal test for any rain wear although the Marmot Oracle Jacket kept my top half dry.