Marmot discontinued the Tarn about 3 years ago and…

Design: mummy
Fill: 550 fill down
Temperature Rating: 25 F
Weight: 2 Lbs 14 oz

Marmot discontinued the Tarn about 3 years ago and replaced it with the Sawtooth. The Tarn is almost identical to the Sawtooth except that the Tarn has a slimmer cut. My guess is the Tarn was too narrow for most, and this is why they changed it. The bag is a basic well made 550 fill goose down three season bag. Good solid construction with no frills (nylon shell). The bag does not have a draft collar (as with other similar 3 season bags), but does cinch up real tight around the face.

When I bought this bag several years ago, I lived in a warmer climate and the winter temperatures didn't get much below the teens. Then with a transfer to Denver I have really tested the bags temp ratings. The 25 F rating is most certainly conservative, I have used it at altitude in the Rockies during 0 F nights without a problem. I can wear my down jacket in the bag if necessary, but typically a thick fleece over long underwear is sufficient. So I would rate this bag closer to a 10 - 15 F rating considering I sleep on the warm side (I have been told by several people most Marmot bags are rated conservatively).

This is a great bag (new Sawtooth) for someone typically sleeping in the 15 - 50 F range and of course you must keep it dry. The bag will stuff down real small, which I like, and has held up well. I have been comfortable in it in a wide range of temperatures (from 0 to 50 F). I have been impressed with Marmot from this bag, and can highly recommend their products.

Marmot Tarn

The Tarn has been discontinued.

The Marmot Tarn is not available from the stores we monitor.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review