Merrell Chameleon II Gore-Tex Mid

I've had this boot a couple of years and found it…

I've had this boot a couple of years and found it very comfortable with little to no break-in.

I use the boots for spring/fall hiking, and haven't put a lot of miles on them. Recently they started leaking pretty badly. The outside has been treated multiple times with the Nikwax suede and leather proofing, which also seems to not work on these boots.

I've contacted Merrell to see what they can do about them.

I picked this pair of Merrells up after returning…

I picked this pair of Merrells up after returning a pair of Vasque Switchbacks that hurt my heels. I use these for weekend backpack trips averaging 15-20 miles. I am 165 lbs and typically carry a 30 lb pack. It took one week of walking town to break these in.

I found the Chameleons to be a really good lightweight hiking boot. The traction is good, but perhaps gives a little on slick rock. What doesn't? The toe guard helps preserve the shoe. I've made several stream crossings with no leaks yet.

My foot is wide at the front and narrow at the heel. Merrells seem to fit this foot type well. Don't count this as your winter boot, though. The toe box is not high enough for thick winter socks.

My only complaint is the arch could be a little higher for my foot. I slipped in some arch supports to remedy this problem.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Merrell Men's Chameleon II GTX Mid Boot (Fall 2006) The Chameleon II GTX Mid Boot by Merrell is Chameleon performance at its pinnacle, holding sway not only over changes in pursuits and pace but in weather, thanks to its GORE-TEX bootie construction. Waterproof pigskin leather upper has defense mesh portals, and injection-molded instep stability arm increases side support and anchors lacing to injection molded heel counter. An interior In-Board EVA footframe with Air Cushion midsole allows a fast, sleek unencumbered look. Vibram Chameleon Hiker Sole arranges oversize rubber lugs in a figure-eight pattern on the periphery for exceptional grip, braking power, and durability.End Uses Fastpacking or light hiking with light gear (20 lbs. max) in wet climates and sloppy conditions on varied terrain. Best worn with mid-weight hiking socks or a combination of light liner with mid-weight sock. Features Weight 2 lb. 9 oz. (size 8) GORE-TEX fabric bootie construction Waterproof pigskin leather upper Breathable defense mesh panels Breathable padded tongue Injection molded TPU external counter; Instep stability arm and TPU toe bumper Sierra GORE-TEX lining 4.5mm anatomical footbed Nylon 6.6 injection molded arch shank In-board compression molded EVA footframe with grade 4 tapered nylon insole molded to bottom Air cushion midsole Vibram Chameleon sport

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Chameleon performance at its pinnacle, holding sway not only over changes in pursuits and pace but in weather, thanks to its Gore-Tex bootie cons...

- Ramsey Outdoor refers to the men's version

Merrell Chameleon II Gore-Tex Mid

The Chameleon II Gore-Tex Mid has been discontinued.

The Merrell Chameleon II Gore-Tex Mid is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 28, 2006 at Moosejaw.