Merrell Chameleon II Gore-Tex Mid

I've had this boot a couple of years and found it…

I've had this boot a couple of years and found it very comfortable with little to no break-in.

I use the boots for spring/fall hiking, and haven't put a lot of miles on them. Recently they started leaking pretty badly. The outside has been treated multiple times with the Nikwax suede and leather proofing, which also seems to not work on these boots.

I've contacted Merrell to see what they can do about them.

I picked this pair of Merrells up after returning…

I picked this pair of Merrells up after returning a pair of Vasque Switchbacks that hurt my heels. I use these for weekend backpack trips averaging 15-20 miles. I am 165 lbs and typically carry a 30 lb pack. It took one week of walking town to break these in.

I found the Chameleons to be a really good lightweight hiking boot. The traction is good, but perhaps gives a little on slick rock. What doesn't? The toe guard helps preserve the shoe. I've made several stream crossings with no leaks yet.

My foot is wide at the front and narrow at the heel. Merrells seem to fit this foot type well. Don't count this as your winter boot, though. The toe box is not high enough for thick winter socks.

My only complaint is the arch could be a little higher for my foot. I slipped in some arch supports to remedy this problem.

Merrell Chameleon II Gore-Tex Mid

The Chameleon II Gore-Tex Mid has been discontinued.

The Merrell Chameleon II Gore-Tex Mid is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 28, 2006 at Moosejaw.