Merrell Continuum

These boots are great for this part-time weekend warrior.

Source: bought it used

Summary

These boots are great for this part-time weekend warrior. I recently did get to spend four days in them on a rugged trail in Maine and they passed with flying colors.

Pros

• Very good traction
  • Very comfortable
  • Very good support

Cons

• Blue shoelaces

I have had these boots for about a year now and they are great boots. They are rugged enough for weekend warrior status but I cannot attest much beyond that because I have not been on a trip longer than four days. On that four-day trip these boots were excellent. We hiked part of the 100-mile wilderness in Maine.  It's a pretty rugged area and these boots remained comfortable.

The Gore-Tex keep my feet dry through the rainy day and the subsequent mud and I had no issues with traction on the rocks, either wet or dry. I did slip a couple of times on wet tree roots but I don't think there is a boot out there that doesn't do that. (And in the Maine woods, roots are hard to avoid. There are a LOT of them.) I had worn the boots several times prior to that trip on a few short hikes through the power lines and also on a couple of overnight trips.

I wear a size 9 street shoe but I like to wear a midweight wool sock when I hike so I wear size 10 hiking boots.  These seemed like a very decent size 10 fit. The weather was mostly hot and my feet did not sweat any more than they have with other boots and wool socks. I have had them, as I said, for just over a year so durability is hard to judge, but so far I see no thread or soul issues of any kind.

Yes, I recommend these boots. I bought these boots at an REI garage sale. They looked brand new to me even though they had been returned. So I'll have to call them used even though I highly doubt they had ever been worn on the trail. I couldn't pass the deal and I am glad I didn't.

Thanks for the review, v trek.

These Merrell shoes are rubbish and Merrell doesn't…

Price Paid: Au$ around 175 plus

Summary

These Merrell shoes are rubbish and Merrell doesn't want to know.

Pros

• Great soles and leather uppers

Cons

• The plastic trim on the uppers is pure unadulterated crap
  • Shoe falls apart as a result

08092016729.jpg

08092016753.jpg

08092016754.jpg

08092016755.jpg

08092016756.jpg

I bought a pair of Merrell Continuum shoes because I understood that Merrell was a top brand.

I only wore them 3 or 4 times since buying them 1 year ago. My Colorado shoes finally gave up after two years almost daily wear. I am 6ft 2 and 110kg 240lbs so they come under a lot of pressure.

Within two days of wearing the Merrells again the plastic trim on the leather uppers all around started to crack.

I sent emails with photos to Merrell reporting the problem and how long I'd had them. At this time they still looked like new shoes.

Merrell got back to me and asked for a copy of the receipt. ??? Who keeps receipts for their shoes? Certainly not I. I am 73 years and don't keep receipts for my shoes, steak, baked beans, Levis, or shirts.

A pair of shoes is not a television that maybe needs a service and carries a 3- to 5-year warranty.

After I responded to Merrell that I no longer had a receipt they never got back to me again. They just were not interested.

I took them into Athlete's Foot where I bought them from and showed them the breaking up. No wear at all on the soles and the leather uppers were pristine, as new still. Just poor quality plastic trim cracking up and breaking.

More than six months since purchase? Sorry sir, we can't help you. We don't have that model anymore. I wonder why??

I have continued to use the shoes and after eight weeks of use the plastic is falling off everywhere. The soles have started to come off at front and rear.

I have now stuck them back with Rugby contact adhesive four times and had to use welders clamps to hold them until the contact has set.

The Photos were taken after the fourth attempt to stick them.

The photos sent to Merrell had only the beginnings of the damage. It took 2 or 3 more wears to become a major problem.

I'll probably get another week out of these crap shoes and never buy another pair of Merrell again.

Welcome to Trailspace, Joe. I'm sorry to hear your Merrells fell apart on you and you weren't able to replace them. If you're willing to add those pictures of their failure to your review, it could be helpful for others to see.

Joe Blunden

G'day Alicia I think I have uploaded the photos. Clicked on Edit this review and no upload page for photos. I just added them below the text and finished the job. The next page to come back was the old one and no confirmation.

Hi Joe, It looks like you figured out how to add photos. Thanks!
Just in case there was any question, here’s the info.

To add photos to your review:

1. Click the yellow “Edit this review" button at the top or bottom of your review (you can do this to update your review, add new info, pics, etc).

2. Click in the Detailed Review section of your review where you’d like to place an image.

3. Click the Insert/Edit Image icon (third from the right, looks like a tree) at the top of the Detailed Review section.

4. Select and Insert a photo you’ve already uploaded or upload a new one.

5. Once done with any edits, click the “Save Your Changes” button at the bottom of your review.

You can check your review and edit and update it as often as needed.

I hope that helps.

-Alicia

After 5 years my second pair of these shoes finally…

Price Paid: 100eu

Summary

After 5 years my second pair of these shoes finally wore out (the soles). They were fantastic, good arch support and excellent grip, ideal for summer hiking on gravel rough trails where ankle support is not required. Have walked 1,000s of miles in them.

Excellent for summer hiking where you are on rough tracks but don't need ankle support.

• Good arch support
  • Look good (do not look like glorified runners)
  • Light compared to a boot

After about 5 years my second pair of these shoes finally wore out.

What is replacing them?

Welcome to Trailspace, trevor.

Now mine are old and got many miles on them and they…

Summary

Now mine are old and got many miles on them and they still are going strong! Best shoes I ever bought.

Pros

• Bomb proof
  • Tread lasts forever
  • Grippy
  • Light
  • They do well in water crossings
  • Nice support
  • Easy to slip on and off

Cons

• None

20151221_072339.jpg

20151221_072352.jpg

I've had my pair for years and no holes, rips, etc. There is plenty of tread left, but I don't know how with the mileage I've put on them. They are super comfortable and easy to slip on and off. The lacing system is really cool.

They hold up very very well. I don't even wear socks with them anymore. Also they work well for rock scrambling. JUST GREAT all arounders.

Hey, tracker clayton. Any chance you know which model of Chameleons yours are? Got pictures of yours you could share in your review?

tracker clayton

I do I just don't know how to get a pic up....lol

tracker clayton

I've had them so long I forget the actual name but they say continuum very small under the merrell logo on the outerside of the shoe and has several different color dashes white,yellow,orange,ect

Thanks for the pic and name info, Tracker.

Decent! I've had the shoes for almost a year and use…

Summary

Decent!

Pros

• Comfy
  • Supportive

I've had the shoes for almost a year and use them for working on a hard floor. The support and comfort are the best I have ever owned. I can't say enough. Worth the price.

Good shoe so far. I just bought these and did 6 miles…

Summary

Good shoe so far.

Pros

• Comfortable and supportive
  • Sturdy bottom for walking on trails
  • Relatively cheap for hiking shoes $88

Cons

• Kind of ugly looking

I just bought these and did 6 miles in them today. They are sturdy and wide toe and my feet feel good in them. More support to my feet than my other Merrells that I did 700 miles in this year—and hardly wore them down.

I think they will do. I don't understand other posts about Merrell shoelaces. I have not had a problem with them.

Welcome to Trailspace, C Kniffin. I hope you will come back and update your review after you've put some more miles on them. I have a pair of running shoes that felt GREAT on my first couple of short runs, but the first time I did 10 miles in them, my feet were miserable. So please let us know how these do after some long hikes.

I bought these. On the cheap. They have done a fine…

Summary

I bought these. On the cheap. They have done a fine job of holding my weight. I don't like to run.

Great for warm weather. It's like a sandal that doesn't slip off. Pebbles might get through their defenses, but what can you do? Awesome Dad shoes.

Pros

• Awesome
  • Nuff said

Cons

• Bunions

Buy these.

I would not recommend these shoes to anyone that needed…

Price Paid: 120$ USD

Summary

I would not recommend these shoes to anyone that needed to wear them more than a handful of times.

Pros

• Very comfortable
  • Look great

Cons

• Very low durability

I am not a hiker, but I purchased these shoes because I work around water and needed something waterproof. When I bought them I was very impressed with the comfort and look. These two qualities are the only reason I am not rating 1 star.

These shoes lasted roughly two months before literally shredding apart. I have purchased cheap 20-30$ shoes that have lasted the same amount of time.

Brilliant, tough shoe! I found these shoes to be very…

Price Paid: $299 aud

Summary

Brilliant, tough shoe!

Pros

• Very well made
  • Tough, hard wearing
  • They look great
  • Excellent support
  • Brilliant grip

Cons

• None

I found these shoes to be very tough. Walking, DIY working in the wet or dry. They are very good. I have had mine for about 5 years now. They are dirty but nothing has worn out or broken.

I was a little concerned reading some of the comments in this forum. My shoes have been excellent. No complaints at all. They are just a little small now.

Decent hiking shoes. Like some of the other reviewers,…

Summary

Decent hiking shoes. Like some of the other reviewers, I do feel they let in sand and dirt, but they also let my feet breathe.

I almost exclusively wore these shoes for the past year. I hike all types of terrain as I live in Colorado, but the soles have held up well to the 40+ miles a week I beat them up. Some of the rubber on the front cracked some, but I'm not hung up on it.

I've washed these shoes in my washer and they plopped out looking almost brand new. No problems with the looping system for me. They have withstood a lot of abuse from me.

Pros

• Your feet can actually breathe!
  • Pretty durable unless you skateboard
  • They feel awesome on your feet all day long

Cons

• They do let tons of sand in, so not the best dune shoes

If you are busting the lacing system on these shoes, I highly suggest you speak to a podiatrist. You are probably giving yourself the foot equivalent of carpal tunnel. If you work out and your feet start to get numb starting between the 3rd and 4th toe and numbness continues to spread, you really should loosen the shoelaces.

Bought as part of the new season launch in October…

Price Paid: £100

Summary

Bought as part of the new season launch in October 2013 in UK. I paid £100 and they lasted nine months. Very disappointed. They were the second pair of Merrells I've purchased that have not even lasted a year. Won't be buying Merrell again.

Pros

• Initially comfortable
  • Good looks

Cons

• Weak construction
  • Poor soles
  • Lace system also weak

Spent a hefty sum for the men's Merrell Continuum shoes as I walk around 5-6 miles every day, so wanted a decent pair. Although very comfortable, they have only lasted nine months. The tread has worn away, the inside of both heels has split open and the lace eyelets have broken too.

Very disappointed in these and it's no wonder they're not part of the new season! They're also not very breathable and the Vibram soles do not grip very well at all...especially in wet weather!

I've always had to buy a size above my usual size with Merrells and as the last two have let me down badly, I won't be going out of my way to buy the same brand again.

Welcome to Trailspace, Gary. Sounds like these shoes are a dud.

Welcome to Trailspace, Gary. I hope you're able to find some trail or running shoes that work out for all of your miles.

I think these shoes were designed without a practical…

Price Paid: $140 (AUS on sale)

Summary

I think these shoes were designed without a practical purpose and purely for aesthetics. They're not as good as other water based adventure shoes out there, they are terrible trail shoes as dirt and sand flood into them, and the lacing system breaks rendering the shoes useless, and forget the idea that you can use them for track or the gym as the support required is absent.

Pros

• They look tough.
  • Slightly better than bare feet for protection.
  • Look good

Cons

• They're not tough.
  • Don't protect your feet from much.
  • Fall apart.

I'm an avid trail runner/ gym junkie/ fitness lunatic and live in Far Northern Australia which is abundant with trails in which Angels fear to tread, Devils walk cautiously, and the rest of us run at breakneck speed plugged into our music whilst dodging flora that want to maim and fauna that want to kill. We have an infamous race called the Great Pyramid Race, which is sheer lunacy no matter what speed you travel.

Now let me make a comment on the Merrell Continuum.

Firstly, they look great on the shelf. I've owned several Merrell shoes and found them to be excellent. I accepted the salesgirl's blurb that they were designed specifically for the type of terrain that abounds in the area, and which is notoriously hard on shoes and muscles and bones. So as they were on special, I coughed up the $140, and couldn't wait to tear up a few trails that had claimed other shoes.

So, as I'm (arguably) not completely stupid, I took them to a minor run to break them in. I tried them in several other environments and have made the following observations:

They are comfortable in the same way paddle boarding is more comfortable than canoeing. But putting some effort into them and they quickly become as responsive and supportive in the same way as a paddle boarder without a paddle, suffering from exhaustion.

After the first 4km run which took all of 25 minutes at 1/2 pace, made the lacing system look very dodgy, and I found that I was trying to adjust the laces continually as they didn't want to settle in the place they should but tended to tighten at the top instead of evenly throughout the foot.

I was fortunate that the track was majority pressed earth, but I noted that the shoes let leeches through very easily, and was relieved that the sloppy nature of the fit allowed them easy removal without disturbing the leeches too much.

The next time I used them was a simple 6km run with the dog on paved surface, which I turned around after about 500m as the 4-yr-old Nike Frees are just so much more comfy and responsive.

The next time was a mixed terrain sand, mud, path, work event. Usually I use old fashioned Timberland leather shoes which I get a lot of negative criticism over as they are nearly as hip as blowing a snot bubble while reciting your wedding vows. If you decided to create a shoe to make concrete, this is what you'd create. After allowing plenty of small twigs and powdered leaf matter to enter, they then accepted a significant amount of sand, and then mud, this doesn't happen straight away, it all seeps in gradually, yet rapidly. The effect is that soon you're walking around with concrete boots, and trying to wash the stuff out is only achieved through determination and effort.

So after a little torture over a period of 22 days, they're looking like the type of shoes that might be issued to clowns undertaking military basic training. I notice now that they seem to be a discontinued product, which really is for the best.

Welcome to Trailspace, Stu! Your review was both informative and entertaining. Leeches???

Although initially delighted with the shoes, they…

Price Paid: CHF129

Summary

Although initially delighted with the shoes, they are not made to last. They are supposed to be outdoor shoes but fail to deliver!

Pros

• Very comfortable

Cons

• Inferior material used
  • Expensive and not good value for money
  • No support from customer services

The fastening system that incorporates straps on the side of the shoes have all snapped within 6 months, thus making the shoes unwearable.

Expensive and disappointing. Will be buying another brand in future.

Very comfortable trail shoe for everyday life. I live…

Summary

Very comfortable trail shoe for everyday life. I live in these shoes from office to roof to trail. And after a year they show no wear and tear especially the "Vibram" soles.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Durablity
  • Tread

Cons

• Mine are not waterproof

The height and fit of these are great. Extremely comfortable for everyday wear. Nicely cushioned with no added aftermarket insoles. I feel no issues with the support it provides. Traction wise the Vibram soles are great in any environment.

The breathability of these is one of the main reasons for my purchase. I wear these for work in extreme hot climate conditions and feet are always cool.

Express my disappointment and complain the super bad…

Price Paid: HKD1000 approx.

Summary

Express my disappointment and complain the super bad quality of my Merrell's womens footwear. It is really terrible and unacceptable that the plastic grips are spallation easily like this!!

Re: Complaint - Bad quality Merrell

I would like to express my disappointment and complain the super bad quality of my Merrell's women's footwear (model: Merrell Continuum Performance footwear - Womens femme 1205 & 83640) which I washed last night.

The plastic grip on both sides of pair of shoes was mammocking and scraps of plastic have come off from them!!  I cannot believed the quality of this branded Merrell pair of shoes is such fragile and non-durable even this is an old model and bought it for few years, but it is really unacceptable that the plastic grips are spallation easily like this!!

Merrell Continuum

The Merrell Continuum is not available from the stores we monitor.