This is a reliable slip-on shoe good for walking in…

Price Paid: $50 on sale

Summary

This is a reliable slip-on shoe good for walking in the city and light hiking on trails. The footbed gives good support, yet is flexible. I was able to wear these shoes to work in an office, without looking like I should be camping.

Pros

• Tidy profile with no laces or decorations
  • Comfortable footbed for support yet flexible
  • Plain strong shoe
  • Tidy, nice look for working in an office

Cons

• This is not a hiking boot for rough off-trail conditions
  • The sole wore out and round-heeled in less than a year
  • Sole is slippery on wet smooth floors

The Moc is a good basic shoe for walking in the city. I bought this pair to wear walking to work in an office. It was an ideal pair of shoes for me because I wanted plain shoes as comfortable as hiking boots. My supervisor had spoken out against hiking boots as "not professional attire." The Moc shoes passed inspection without comment! I liked the black colour with most of my clothes.

The shoes did not need any breaking-in time. I never had a blister. The fit was good even though the shoe had no laces to adjust the fit. The footbed was good support while still being flexible as I walked.

I found the Moc to be a good shoe while walking on pavement. I wore these shoes while walking on light trails also. The performance was at least as good as a simple cheap sneaker or low-rise Converse.

Since the shoes were not sold as waterproof, I sprayed them with a waterproofing silicone spray. They kept out rain for a year of use.

The only thing I did not like from the first was the lack of traction on wet floors. The black rubber sole LOOKED like a Vibram sole but was NOT as grippy.

The other thing I realized after six months was that the soles were not as tough as Vibram soles, either. The soles wore round-heeled and wore through in less than a year of city walking. This is not unusual for me with most shoes, as I walk and take buses rather than driving.

When the fit gradually loosened after nine or ten months, I tried wearing two slim pairs of socks instead of a single sport-weight sock. The fit felt good once more.

Thanks for the review, Paula. Do you have any pictures of your shoe? I'm interested.

Paula Johanson BRAND REP

Nope! The shoe looks just like the one in the Product Summary window on the upper right of the screen. There are several 'Moc' styles by Merril which all look pretty much the same whether they're made in leather or suede style.

These are my favorite shoes for icy winter days. The…

These are my favorite shoes for icy winter days. The traction sole keeps you steady and the lining keeps you toasty.