MontBell U.L. Down Inner Pants

Weight 7.8 oz (Size M)
Fill Weight 2.0 oz
Fabric 20-denier rip-stop nylon, 25-wash rated DWR treatment
Insulation 800 fill power goose down

So warm and light, there's no reason to leave them…

Summary

So warm and light, there's no reason to leave them at home!

Pros

• Warm
  • Comfortable fit

Cons

• The snap/closure drawstring is a little funky

I was looking to extend my backpacking season beyond just summer, and wanted to add a warm lower layer to my kit. And in the never-ending quest to lighten my backpacking load, it also had to be lightweight. Having had a MontBell UL Inner Down Jacket for several years, and loving it, I naturally looked at this layer. When I found it on sale, I went for it.

Even though I have short legs, the pants fit quite nicely, with elastic cuffs at the bottom. The waist has a adjustable drawcord on the inside, but a traditional fly zipper/snap in front. Minor quibble... the zipper/snap have to be open to adjust the drawcord, which is a little awkward. But I can't say how I would change it to make it better.

These pants are warm! The 800 fill-power down is distributed nice and evenly throughout the pants, with no cold spots. I have successfully used them to extend the temperature range of my 35° summer bag including several sub-freezing nights in the Yosemite backcountry in early spring and late fall. The quilted nylon fabric is soft and comfortable, and the fit is non-restricting.

These pants are super-light (8 oz on my scale), and pack down tiny in the provided stuff sack. If you are looking to extend your season, and want a lightweight and super warm layer, look no further. Love these pants!

Sound warm! Thanks for sharing.

MontBell Men's U.L. Down Inner Pants

The MontBell Men's U.L. Down Inner Pants is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 29, 2014 at Bentgate.com.

If you're looking for a new down insulated pant, check out the best reviewed current models.