MontBell U.L. Down Inner Parka

Finally took my Montbell U.L. Hoody—that's been…

Price Paid: $150 or thereabouts

Finally took my Montbell U.L. Hoody—that's been absolutely toasty in SF—out into the Sierra snow on a three-day snow-camp. I also, brought along a never used Patagonia DAS Parka (just in case) but even though it got down in the 30's, the U.L. under a shell was amazingly warm, even while I remained fairly still, sitting around the snow kitchen.

I should mention I was layered with a poly-pro T-shirt and a Patagonia R1 Hoody (another great piece) topped with a Mountain Hardwear Epic Jacket.

It's an odd feeling to wear this jacket, as it is so light, it's like it is not there and yet, your torso is warm. Size wise, I bought a large and it's almost a custom fit, but I think I would have been even better off with a little more room from an XL.

As for being part of your ultra-light arsenal—this works well as an extra sleep layer. Did I mention the hood—great.

This jacket is also SO light, it would not hurt to put velcro cinches on the wrists, or maybe an inside pocket—but these are minor details. Light. Warm. Good cut. This jacket is worth every dollar.

I take this light compact jacket on all my 3-season…

I take this light compact jacket on all my 3-season backpacking trips. It is a great layer over my fleece and under my rain jacket as needed.

Just trying it on was good because it was warm for…

Just trying it on was good because it was warm for a light inner layer or as a jacket. As I actually used it outside and tried the hood, it was not adjustable because the cord broke off.

If Montbell had actually tested this parka they should have gone back and redesign all the adjustable cords or just omit them! I was thinking of also getting their U.L. Thermawrap but I don't think so!

If you've owned or used a MontBell U.L. Down Inner Parka, please share your experience.

MontBell U.L. Down Inner Parka

$175.00 (women's)

The MontBell U.L. Down Inner Parka is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new down insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.

women's
Weight 7.7 oz (Size M)
Fill Weight 2.0 oz
Center Back Length 24.4 in (Size M)
Fabric 15-denier Ballistic Airlight nylon shell, 100-wash rated Polkatex®® DWR treatment
Insulation 800 Fill power goose down