MontBell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger EXP

First off, this bag is very unique in its construction.

First off, this bag is very unique in its construction. It stretches when you move and hugs your body in whatever position you sleep in.

That being said, the more it is streched the thinner the down is in that area which makes the bag have cold spots at times. I have wide shoulders and a large chest, the elbows are the main are where I have cold spots. I found that if I position myself inside and stretch just the bottom of the bag out it works just fine.

It is very expensive but if you have a little extra cash and are a gear junkie that demands one of the lightest bags this may be for you.

I have used this bag on a few nights on one trip in northern Wisconsin in late January of 2008. The coldest that is got was -10, the same evening there was freezing rain so moisture was a factor. That being said the bag stayed dry and kept me warm enough.

A very good bag -- lots of room, lots of down (2 lb…

Design: mummy
Fill: 725 down
Temperature Rating: minus 9.6 F
Weight: 3 lbs 14 oz

A very good bag -- lots of room, lots of down (2 lb 12 oz) and lots of loft. About 8 or 10 inches, depending on how you measure it. It is rated to minus 9.6 F - I haven't had it quite that cold yet, but have slept in it at about 3 or 4 below -- deliberately challenging its rating by sleeping in light underclothes and no socks. Was fine, slept solidly for almost 9 hours. I am a cold sleeper, so I think their rating is probably pretty close.

For a winter bag, it is not all that heavy, either, my long size weighs the claimed 3 lb 14 oz. Not bad for a subzero bag -- the stretch construction is really nice, you could layer in there a lot if you needed to be way way below zero. The double draft tube works very well, likewise the shoulder collar. As I said, there is a LOT of down, it takes a lot of stuffing to get it into the factory stuff sack -- it seems almost alive. I don't mind, that's where the warmth comes from.

MontBell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger EXP

The U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger EXP has been discontinued.

The MontBell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger EXP is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 12, 2010 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new cold weather down sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.