Mountain Hardwear Alcove 3

Bought this tent for canoeing and climbing to use…

Price Paid: 160$ Can.

Bought this tent for canoeing and climbing to use it as a base camp.

As said above the front vestibule is incredibly big (for a tent ;-) enough for me and my partner to stack it up with both our 70lt bags and climbing kit. Big enough to cook when we got caught by snow in the Presidentials near Mt. Washington. The frame withstood very well 55 mph.

Condensation has to be monitored at all time when it gets rainy for long periods of time. We were once stuck inside for three days and had to check it every two/three hours. The poles are very strong 7005 serie aluminium and the alcove form wich has at lot of poles crossings is what makes it so sturdy.

Optimal condition for use IMO is autumn and spring. In the summer we found the tent to be a tad hot. the weight is fine if you split it, it comes down to 4.5 pounds each.

Wish she was lighter but like my girl she's perfect in the whole. And I could lose some too...

I love this tent. I received it as a gift so that…

Ease of Setup: a bit odd until you get used to the way the poles go. Then it's a snap.
Weight: 9 pounds
Price Paid: gift

I love this tent. I received it as a gift so that I could go camping with my boys and their scout troops. It is SO roomy and easy to set up once you get the hang of it.

The double doors are a must. I have NO complaints about this tent. All the other mom's (and some of the dads) are pretty jealous of my little tent. It fits right in the side of my back pack and is light enough so that I can hike it and my gear in to our camping spot. I've used it in the rain -- and stayed completely dry.

The Alcove 3 easily brings ample room for myself and…

Design: 3-season, freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: quick and easy
Weight: 9+ pounds

The Alcove 3 easily brings ample room for myself and two others, and at nearly 6'-3" and 220 lbs, this means a lot for me. Most appreciated are the spacious vestibules, great for those severe weather situations experienced in the blink of an eye here in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

This tent is very comfortable and well designed for multiple users. Quality is abundant from the stake out points to the aluminum pole design. The pitch light option is wonderful in the summer months, or when I go solo. This will be the last tent I need to buy, I just wish it had come along years earlier.

Downside, at just around nine pounds it could be an item for the smaller backpacker. But when packing with two or three others, the loads even out with only one of us packing the tent.

When packing with a friend or two, this is definitely the way to go!

The initial setup in the back yard was a little confusing,…

Ease of Setup: very easy

The initial setup in the back yard was a little confusing, but after very little practice it is the easiest tent I have ever setup, very intuitive. In terms of weatherproofing it was bone dry and blocked out nearly all the wind. Our first trip with this tent it was rainy, cold and windy but in the tent it was very calm and surprisingly warm. The amazingly large front vestibule is probably my favorite feature. There is room enough in the front vestibule to stack the backpacks and cook up a pot of coffee all during a thunderstorm.

I just love the design and the quality is very evident.

There is only one drawback; condensation. The inside of the rainfly will be wet in the morning. It is not a real big deal, but it is something to consider.

Mountain Hardwear Alcove 3

The Alcove 3 has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear Alcove 3 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 25, 2006 at REI.