Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket

High warmth-to-weight, uber lightweight, packs small.

Summary

High warmth-to-weight, uber lightweight, packs small.

Pros

• High warmth-to-weight
  • Very lightweight
  • Packs small

Cons

• 7D material has to be handled somewhat gently

This is a very nice, lightweight down jacket, perfect for throwing in a daypack or backpack for multi-day outings. It uses treated 800 down (Q.Shield), just under 3 oz of fill.

The weight of my size Men's Large is 6.9 oz, not many down jackets approach that weight. It packs very small, taking very little space—a very big plus if using a small pack.

I've had the jacket out in light rain and snow and the DWR is pretty decent, but I wouldn't want to push the moisture issue much with your insulating layer.

The 7D material is far from bombproof, which shouldn't be a big surprise for anyone.  I've used it extensively the last year and a half (and knock on wood) have yet to put a puncture/tear in it (I did get a spark off a fire that left a small hole—whoops!).  When used with a little caution (foregoing bushwhacking through brambles, etc) it should prove plenty durable.

Fit is good, I'm 5'11" 180 and the M's Large fits perfectly. Has a adjustable hem shock cord to seal in warmth. I had the hooded version, but it was misplaced or stolen :(, I bought the jacket version as I found a very good price on it. I would recommend the hooded version if you can get a good price, I simply prefer hooded garments.  I carry a 1 oz Black Rock down beanie w/ it and get by fine though.

I've owned several lightweight down jackets—Montbell Ex-Light, Patagonia Down Sweater—this one is the one I've held onto :)

Pic of my wife and I, this was my hooded one before it disappeared:

mike-janbigbelts.jpg

Thanks for the review, bigskyrunner. I've eyed the women's version of jacket for a while as a backup emergency layer. Care to share a picture showing its fit on you and/or how small it packs up?

andrew f.

helpful review. i picked one of these up right before the winter and haven't yet updated it to reflect how much i liked the jacket this winter.

bigskyrunner

found a pic of my wife and I in our Ghost Whisperer's (my hooded one, before it disappeared), I'll snap a pic of it packed it- it definitely packs small :)

Thanks, Bigskyrunner!

1 month ago

Light, packable, warm and beautifull jacket, but poor…

Price Paid: u$d 200

Summary

Light, packable, warm and beautifull jacket, but poor material .... buy it if you dont need a resistant jacket, otherwise look somewhere else.

Pros

• Ridiculously lightweight
  • Packable
  • Beautiful

Cons

• Bad quality of material

This jacket is spectacular. Ridiculously lightweight and packable, warm, beautiful colors, I chose the color electric blue.

But after having it a week of normal use, failure began to be felt, maybe it's for the excessive use of lightweight materials, on the sleeves already started to notice wear and several seams is loosening. I can understand this to happen after prolonged heavy use, but not with just one week of city walking.

I was planing to take it to a MTB trip at the hills, but I'm definitely back with my old Arc'teryx Atom LT.

Joel Irons

The ghost whisperer vest didn't have enough fill in the baffles to even justify it's 5oz weight. Garbage in comparison to Arc'teryx anything.