Mountain Hardwear Lomasi 60

Weight 4 lb 9 oz / 2.08 kg 4 lb 12 oz / 2.15 kg -
Capacity 3500 cu in / 57 L 3650 cu in / 60 -
Dimensions - 30 in X 14 in X 14 in / 76 cm X 36 cm X 36 cm -
Waist Range 26 in - 30 in / 66 cm - 76 cm 29 in - 34 in / 74 cm - 86 cm -
Torso Range 14.0 in. - 16.5 in. / 36 cm - 42 cm 16.0 in. - 19.0 in. / 41 cm - 48 cm -
Materials 420D HD Nylon, 210D HexNut™ Ripstop Nylon, 840D HT Ballistic Nylon 420D HD Nylon, 210D HexNut™ Ripstop Nylon, 840D HT Ballistic Nylon -

This is a roomy and comfortable pack for the short(er)/petite…

Summary

This is a roomy and comfortable pack for the short(er)/petite female hiker (or those with shorter torsos). It's a great pack for weekend or multi-day trips, depending on the season. The model I am reviewing is the Lomasi, the pack on the right (rhododendron/dark burgundy color), size Small.

Pros

• Roomy
  • Comfortable fit
  • Very adjustable
  • Decent amount of compartments
  • Detachable and adjustable waistbelt and shoulder straps
  • Hydration bladder compatible

Cons

• Not much airflow on the back (if any)
  • Lack of accessible storage (on waistbelt, chest strap, etc.)
  • Hydration bladder compartment design

DSC06991.jpg
After a lot of searching for a pack for someone with a 13.5-inch torso, I came up with two options within my price range—the Mountain Hardwear Lomasi and a North Face pack (of which I cannot remember the name).

I'm 5' 2" and weigh about 115 pounds, which seems to be an uncommon size for a hiker (height-wise, anyway). I needed a pack that fit and should have given myself more than a couple of months to look, especially in the off-season. I chose the Lomasi 60. I am happy with my choice and it is serving me well so far. Unlike most, I tend to use my larger packs in the "off season" (October through May). I have not used this one in the summer yet.

The pack is very roomy and has earned the nickname "beast." If you do a good job packing it right (heavy stuff closest to the body, etc.), it is very comfortable to wear.

The waistbelt side padding is adjustable with Velcro. The (waist) cinching straps pull in towards your waist, which always seem to work easier with a heavy load.

The shoulder straps are adjustable--they are attached to a sliding "plate" system that lies against your back. This part is padded and vertically adjustable (with torso measurements printed right on the aluminum bar). Velcro secures your size. I've been wondering if it will continue to work as the years go on, but it seems to be holding up fine. The one thing I've found challenging is cinching my load without raising up my shoulder straps. I keep tinkering, but ultimately end up with loose load straps rather than shoulder straps hovering an inch above my shoulders.

The pockets are good and appropriately placed. The removable top compartment holds everything that you need to have easy access to (food, sunglasses, goggles, hats, mittens, meds, first aid, etc., etc.). If you're handy, you can reach this without taking off your pack.

Next down (vertically), is the "Leave No Trace" waste pocket, but I have yet to understand why the key fob/hook is located in that compartment. That makes no sense to me.

Next down is the hydration bladder "pocket." If you're going to use a bladder, buy a flat one (the Osprey 3L is a nice fit). I have a Hydrapak 3L and it wanders all over within that pocket/sleeve if it isn't packed in there tightly and surrounded by something to keep it in place.

The outside has a "water bottle" pocket on each side with shock cord and cord locks. The front of the pack has a zippered pocket (behind the daisy chain loops) and a baffle pocket. The bottom compartment opens up for a sleeping bag and sleeping pad.

The main compartment is accessible from the top or from the front (behind the two front pockets). It has a (removable) false bottom. The top of the main compartment has two areas where it can be cinched. I do have one question about this main compartment that continues to mystify me...if you are using the top/removable portion where you can keep all of your easy-access stuff, there is a flap with two buckles that connect to nothing except themselves.

This is hard to explain unless you can see it, but it is one of my peeves about this pack. If you buckle them together (which has been my approach so it doesn't drive me so nuts), you can accidently grab them instead of the main loop when you go to take off your pack. **If I'm missing something here and someone can enlighten me on the proper use of these flap and buckles, I would greatly appreciate it!!**

Many of the zippers are waterproof and, the ones that aren't are covered and will not be exposed to rain, snow, etc. If you are tough on your zippers, I really, really suggest Gear Aid Zip Care to lubricate and clean them after heavy use.

The countless straps make adjusting the load and pack very easy. In fact, the number of straps can be a little overwhelming at first glance. If you pack right and cinch things up nicely, you should be stable and comfortable. Off topic a little, but I've found that "low rise" pants and shorts are a backpacker's foe. If possible, opt for higher rise pants to minimize fat pinching between the bottom of the waistbelt the pelvic bone. Or, tuck in your shirt and/or use a sock, Buff, and/or Body Glide to prevent hot spots.

The part that I DO NOT LIKE about this pack is the lack of ventilation on the back. The TNF pack I was looking at had the nice trampoline back and the Lomasi is almost solid foam. I tend to run hot in the winter as well as the summer and I never have had a day when I didn't sweat through my clothes or jacket while wearing this pack--even when it was 10° F.

Like most of my Mountain Hardwear gear, this pack seems to be very durable. It's been though a cold, cold winter and I've carried it for many, many miles on trail as well as many miles bushwhacking. I am generally hard on my gear as I think I use the crap out of it. The material is heavy duty. It may weigh a little more, but it holds up very well.

To note...this pack does NOT come with a rain cover. You can buy a nice MH one for $50 or make your own for about $10. I just got done sewing my own to keep the cost down. A good, old-fashioned black trash bag or poncho does the trick, too.

Seth Levy TRAILSPACE STAFF

Nice review Jodi!

Visit Mountain Hardwear's Lomasi 60 page.

Accessories

Mountain Hardwear Lani 60 Pack for Women Go on an overnight camping trip with the Mountain Hardwear Lani 60 Pack for Women. The stowable pole loops for ice axes or trekking poles facilitate safe travel. The floating, zippered hydration allows the tube to exit left or right. Its angled-side pocket secures water bottles with a bungee. Its stretch panel front compression provides excellent load balance. The Mountain Hardwear Lani 60 Pack for Women has a skirt extension that provides an extra 8 L of volume.

- SunnySports

Description of Mountain Hardwear Lomasi 60 Backpack - WomensGet more comfort for less weight. This packs highly developed design provides top-notch support regardless of load, in a womens specific fit.FeaturesIntention II suspension uses advanced, lightweight materials to provide highly effective load transfer and outstanding comfortCustomizable suspension offers 2.5 6.5cm of torso adjustment and fully interchangeable womens-specific shoulder straps and hipbelt for optimal fitExclusive BigMouth lower compartment zip design provides both a wide-mouth opening and load compressionInverted U-shaped, urethane coated, water-resistant zipper on upper front panel offers direct access to needed items in the main compartmentPleated front compression pocket with zippered compartment provides convenient storage for overloads and frequently needed itemsSkirt extension adds 375 cu. in. 6L of carrying capacity when neededFlapTop design allows pack to be used without the top lid with no compromise in compression or weather-protectionFloating top lid with bungee web is removable to reduce weightLarge side pockets are easy to reach when wearing the packExternally accessed hydration sleeve is easier to reloadRemovable divider separates upper and lower compartmentsSleeping pad straps are stowable to reduce clutter when not neededCapacity Med 3650 cu. in. 60 ltr Sml 3500 cu. in. 57 ltr

- US Outdoor Store

CLOSEOUTS . A versatile, full-featured overnighter that offers excellent support and a women-specific suspension, Mountain Hardwearand#39;s Lomasi 60 backpack is ready to take on any challenge. Available Colors: 522 RHODODENDRON. Sizes: S, M.

- Sierra Trading Post

Before you commit to three days of wandering in the wilderness, adjust the Mountain Hardwear Women's Lomasi 60 Backpack to fit your torso size and then fill it with the bare essentials to get you through the long weekend. With its 3650+ cubic inches of available space, you won't have a problem fitting what you need into the Lomasi, which also features three easy-access points to the main compartment for added convenience.