Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero SL Hooded Jacket

This is hands down the best down jacket I've ever…

Price Paid: Bought via pro deal

This is hands down the best down jacket I've ever owned. It has many nice creature comforts, such as the lined pockets, but the real standouts are the excellent construction and overall warmth.

I have a fairly small build, so I haven't experienced the length problem that other reviewers mentioned. I have a size medium of this jacket.

I've used this jacket on many extended climbing trips, several spanning the winter. I've had mine for about 5 years now, and it's still in great shape. Own this jacket and fear no cold!

This jacket is warmth. As a photographer, I am often…

Fabric: Conduit
Fill: 650 down

This jacket is warmth.

As a photographer, I am often out in both pre dawn cold, but also just standing there. When I need to keep warm while not moving in really cold winter weather this is my turn to jacket.

The Jacket is big, puffy, and warm. I like the Conduit SL which makes this jacket able to withstand a wet snow I might otherwise need a shell over a down jacket. Fleece lined pockets make a difference to keep hands warm. The hood is super! A jacket for winter really needs a hood and this one delivers.

The cut is short but long enough. Perfect for a climber as it allows access for a harness.

My back measures around 19" and I fall right at the breakpoint between M and L on the Osprey back measurer. I find the Sub Zero is a perfect fit. But those with longer torsos often report it too short.

MH builds three jackets in this series- Jacket, Hooded Jacket, and Parka.

The plain jacket is a city coat. For winter outdoors get the hooded or parka as both have hoods. And for outdoor wear in milder seasons I'd get an 800 fill down sweater over the plain jacket. Both the parka and hooded jacket are nice. Check the length and decide which one is better for you and that is the one.

Note with 650 fill it is reasonably compressible. An 800 fill parka is more so but also costs twice as much. Catch a year end or REI sale and score this one. Two thumbs up!

This is an excellent down jacket at all point of view,…

Fabric: Conduit silk
Fill: Down
Price Paid: $428.53 in Europe

This is an excellent down jacket at all point of view, nice design, high quality fabric, strong and still supple, Conduit fabric is wonderful. A versatile winter down jacket for mountaineering and town.

If I had a wish, it would be to add a down section at bottom back because even for a XL men it was a little shorter for my 69.3" size, that's the reason why I bought also the same item in parka version (longer back)in a very nice blue color. If you buy this item you won't be disappointed.

I've had this jacket for at least 5 years. It's been…

Fabric: Conduit
Fill: 650 fill
Price Paid: ??

I've had this jacket for at least 5 years. It's been on one major expedition and numerous climbs in the Cascades. The longer I own it the more I like it. I'm a bit rough on it, stuffing it in the top of my pack along with screws and other sharp stuff, but there is not a single puncture or rip in the fabric. It still looks great and repels moisture. It's plenty warm. I got it a bit large to go over other gear; so it covers lower than a typical jacket. With down or fleece pants, it is adequate in all but the coldest conditions (where you need a full parka).

Pros: very warm, good fit, hood adjustable to any…

Fabric: conduit
Fill: down

Pros: very warm, good fit, hood adjustable to any head-size, convenient pockets.

Cons: velcro closure over zipper has started wearing out threads on jacket front after two years of wear.

rated 5.00 of 5 stars All Sub Zero SL Hooded Jacket versions

In addition to the 5 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Sub Zero SL Hooded Jacket. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Men's Sub Zero SL Hooded Jacket, please share your experience.

Mountain Hardwear Men's Sub Zero SL Hooded Jacket

The Men's Sub Zero SL Hooded Jacket has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear Men's Sub Zero SL Hooded Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new down insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.