Mountain Hardwear Switch 35°

Initially, my wife bought the Switch 35, because she…

Design: Semi-rectangular
Fill: Don't know which brand
Temperature Rating: 35 degrees
Weight: 2+ pounds

Initially, my wife bought the Switch 35, because she wanted room to move her legs around inside the bag - she's a restless sleeper. She got the Men's Regular because the store didn't have a Women's model in stock. I tried hers out and went back and got a Men's Long. We use them for car camping because they are too weighty for hiking; and also we both have 32 degree down bags for that purpose.

Let's start with the positives: Both of us feel like the Switch 35 gives you an ideal sleeping temperature inside across a wide range of temperatures outside. The lowest we have used them is right around 30 degrees. We were both in underwear, and were not chilly. Her feet were cold, probably due to the footbox being roomy; but I was OK, maybe because I had some light socks on. The highest we have used them is in the high 60 degree range, and they were not too warm, with the almost-full-length-zippers opened halfway.

The only negative is the danged zipper. I personally find it uncooperative if there is the slightest perpendicular pressure, like when you try to unzip at your shoulders or hips, or from within. So, if you wake up in the middle of the night for a nature call, you might find yourself fighting with the zipper and waking yourself up in the process. I wish it were not that way, because otherwise, the Switch 35 is a really sweet bag for both of us. Maybe the answer is for you to get in it at the store, try the zipper, then decide whether or not to buy it.

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Men's Switch 35°, please share your experience.