Mountain Hardwear Tempo Windstopper Jacket

Excellent mid-weight layer in winter hiking; wicking…

Summary

Excellent mid-weight layer in winter hiking; wicking sweat perfectly and stopping wind well! Sizing is "athletic" (read small) and sleeves are rather long.

Pros

• Excellent mid-weight layer for 4-season hiking
  • Wicks away sweat well
  • Nice large front pockets

Cons

• Sizing runs small
  • Sleeves are long

It served as an excellent mid-weight layer in my winter hike the other day. It was snowing and windy when we headed out on the mountain. I think it was about 20-ish when we started.

I started off a bit chilly, as I didn't have my usual fleece on, but knew once I started to hike I would be too hot with a fleece. This jacket was an excellent mid-weight layer, and stopped the wind from getting all the way to my base layer. It wicked the sweat off beautifully and my outer shell was pretty soaked when we got to the car.

No, I don't sweat THAT much. I just don't have the best outer shell. This piece is a step in the right direction. I imagine I will be using it quite a bit in the early spring and maybe summer hikes.

I read several reviews of this jacket before purchasing it as a Barn Burner deal on Sierra Trading. The "athletic" fit in layman's terms means it will run small for most people. I purchased an XL and it fits like a large should.

The sleeves are long...overly long, I think. They should have those thumb holes in them for being that long.  The collar is long, which is nice. It protects the neck from wind and would compliment a neck gaiter or scarf very well.

The pockets are nice and large. I have a tendency to stuff my pockets full of spare hats and gloves on our winter hikes and these held all my spares with room to spare. The zippers are a bit small, for the jacket and when the pockets are that full, they're not so easy to zip with one hand. The main zipper is the same size, but it doesn't feel flimsy for its size.

The back has a nice tail. I LOVED this! This is my first jacket with one and will make sure to find others with an extended back. It was a nice length for when I sat on the cold rock at the top of the summit, my butt didn't get too cold.  :)

Don't let gusty winds and drizzles prevent you from pursuing your outdoor pastimes - protect yourself in Mountain Hardwear's windproof Tempo WINDSTOPPER Jacket. The nastiest gusts don't get past the WINDSTOPPER Tempest fabric that completely blocks wind and even a few sprinkles aren't a problem - the fabric provides a touch of water resistance to protect you from the occasional rain shower.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version

CLOSEOUTS . The Windstopper(R) technology on this Mountain Hardwear Tempo jacket ensures that frigid wind won't slow the tempo on your next alpine adventure. Windstopper(R) technology provides 100% windproof protection Water-resistant construction Articulated sleeves for spectacular range of motion Stretch hem and cuffs for superb fit Micro-chamois collar to prevent zipper chafing Full-zip front with storm flap Right zipper pull Zip handwarmer pockets Length: 28" Weight: 15 oz. Fabric: Polyester Care: Machine wash/dry Made in China. Available Colors: BLACK/GRILL, GRASSHOPPER/GRILL, TRUE BLUE/GRILL, TIGER/GRILL, COCOBOLO/GRILL. Sizes: 2XL, L, M, S, XL.

- Sierra Trading Post refers to the men's version

Beat the wind chill: 100% windproof, water resistant. Athletic fit for on-mountain moves.

- Altrec Outdoors refers to the men's version

The Mountain Hardwear Tempo WS Jacket is 100% windproof and water resistant. The athletic fit allows for freedom of movement without the bulk. The Tempo can be used as a layering piece or as an outer layer. Mountain Hardwear Tempo WS Jacket Features: Windproof and water-resistant Two front zip hand pockets Articulated sleeves One handed hem drawcords Micro-chamois lined guard Tufstretch cuff and hem panels Center Back Length: 27in Materials: WINDSTOPPER® Tempest fabric Weight: 14oz / 392g

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

The Mountain Hardwear Tempo Windstopper Jacket beats the wind chill: 100% windproof, water resistant.Athletic fit for on-mountain moves.

- CampSaver.com refers to the men's version