Mountain Hardwear Versteeg Rain Jacket

I needed a light, waterproof jacket and this one was…

Pros

• Light
  • Completely waterproof

Cons

• Is it tough enough?
  • Hood drawsting is hard to undo

I needed a light, waterproof jacket and this one was the answer. It is just a painted outer shell, of course everywhere is seam sealed, no lining inside. I guess a mesh liner will make it better.

The hood is OK with a rain edge, but I do not think it is big enough to incorporate a helmet inside. You need to unzip the collar down a little to pull the hood over your head. This is pretty much the same thing in every similar jacket today.

That the chin guard is lined, eliminating zipper chafe, is a good addition. There are two hand and one chest (with waterproof zipper) pockets, also additional one inner zipped pocket plus one stow pocket and under arm pit zips (they are a must for such jacket).

It stops the rain and decently breathes, but I wonder how it will hold up to the elements in winter time or on mountains. For the money, it is a nice addition to one's gear and since it's from one of the best known manufacturers in the arena, I thing it will do fine in different settings.

Overall, great jacket and I recommend it.

Mountain Hardwear Versteeg Rain Jacket

The Mountain Hardwear Versteeg Rain Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 25, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new waterproof jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016