Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Jacket

Workmanship is excellent, along with attention to…

Fabric: Gore Windstopper Fleece
Price Paid: approx $200 ea piece

Workmanship is excellent, along with attention to detail in the design. Although expensive, the windstoppper fabric really works. The pants are very warm, and can be worn hiking without long underwear on 25 deg F days. If the temp is above 45-50 deg F the pants will be too warm. The jacket is also much warmer than a similar weight non windstopper fabric. There are plenty of pockets on the jacket.

Minor complaints and observations:

In my opinion, the pant legs are tapered too much, they tend to raise up on your boots when hiking, making gaiters necessary. The jackets are cut somewhat small under the arms, I usually wear a large, but got an XL to wear over fleece pullover and thermal top.

I recieved several e-mails regarding my review of…

Fabric: gore w/gore 3ply

I recieved several e-mails regarding my review of w/s jacket, pants and vest. the return e-mail address' were missing, so i will post response here and hope it reaches those concerned.

Windstopper fleece is very warm with no shell and a light base layer it is waterproof but when expecting precip. I always opt for gore tex shell. The beauty of w/s is its versitility and double duty nature. If you do get caught in the wet it WILL keep you dry. It looks great, the fabric is terrific for casual wear. It is the best mid-layer avail. less bulky than 200 fleece and wind/water proof. It really needs to be cold though as in my experience this year in 28 below wind chill and snow a Marmot strech fleece base with a Marmot tech-t 100 fleece and the mtn. hdwr. Ethereal FTX parka (gore-tex NOT windstopper) I was absolutly warm and comfortable beyond anything in my experience. you can't go wrong with mt. hdwr or marmot. I like the hood napolean pockets and chest vents of the mt. hdwr. shell over marmots offering. marmot base and mid fleece is exceptional though.

Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Jacket

The Windstopper Jacket has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 28, 2011 at US Outdoor Store.

If you're looking for a new fleece jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.