Mountain Hardwear X-Country 40

Lightest, smallest-packing, synthetic bag I've seen.

Summary

Lightest, smallest-packing, synthetic bag I've seen.

Pros

• Very small size
  • Very light weight

Cons

• Discontinued product
  • Not really for cold winter use

Mountain-Hardwear-X-country-35-synthetic

This a great synthetic bag. It's super small and light (1 lb., 14 oz.) and packs down to almost the size of a football.  The only drawback is it's not for the cold winter months since it only goes down to about 35-40 degrees.

No drafts, as roomy as an average bag (not as light as a Big Agnes, but good size), easy in and out. No complaints in 3-season use.

This is a very nice bag for the price but no longer…

Design: Mummy
Fill: Polarguard
Temperature Rating: 40 degrees
Weight: 2 lbs

This is a very nice bag for the price but no longer available from Mountain Hardwear. But the Switch 20 is just as good for a little more money. The bag was a great price, packs out light, and great for backpacking. The X-Country is more of a summer bag, good for temps down only to 40 degrees.

I love this bag because it is light and easy to pack.

Design: Mummy
Fill: Polarguard 3D
Temperature Rating: 35 farenheight

I love this bag because it is light and easy to pack. I live in the Southeast where we don't see frigid temps often, so this was an ideal choice for me. I've been able to use in all seasons and stayed rather toasty. Because I'm a tall guy, I bought the long model and have ample room to move throughout the night. I love the fact that the zipper stays in place, so I'm not adjusting it during the night. I got it at a steal for only $65 and wish I'd bought another.

I almost feel like I stole this sleeping bag at $70…

Temperature Rating: 35 F

I almost feel like I stole this sleeping bag at $70 each. I bought four for the rental center I manage. And so, I expected four $70-quality sleeping bags. Instead, I got the lightest, smallest-packing 35-degree sleeping bags I've held in my hand.

Once I was finished juggling three of the tiny-packed bags, I began to write our store's name and phone number on the shell of one of them with permanent marker. I was unsuccessful. The ink was actually beading up on the treated shell fabric -- something I've never seen in all the other (non-down) bags I've dealt with.

At any rate, I like the bag. It has practically no loft, but it's so light, small, and cheap, you can afford to pack in a Big Agnes sleeping mat as well.

Mountain Hardwear X-Country 40

The X-Country 40 has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear X-Country 40 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 19, 2008 at Campmor.

If you're looking for a new warm weather synthetic sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.