Mountain House Homestyle Turkey Dinner Casserole

Great for camping, this is a hot meal that will satisfy…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I received a sample of this product from the brand or its representatives in exchange for a review.)

Summary

Great for camping, this is a hot meal that will satisfy with fantastic flavor, just like Thanksgiving dinner!

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Flavorful
  • Satisfying

Cons

• Bulky in the backpack

As a member of another website, sometimes I receive products in exchange for an honest review and that is the case with this turkey dinner. I had the pleasure of saving this for my first night on the Appalachian Trail at Springer Mountain, Georgia.

The flavor was amazing...just like a Thanksgiving meal. I'm a chef, so I'm picky, and I thought that it was very satisfying and the seasoning was not overwhelming. I was concerned that the stuffing might be soggy, but was very please when it turned out just like it does when you cook it from scratch.

The package says 2 servings, but I was so hungry after a full day of hiking, I ate the whole thing! There was plenty to share if you had a smaller appetite, or something else to accompany the meal, but was filling if you wanted the whole thing at once or had a larger appetite.

I'd pack this again in a heartbeat.

Only thing I don't like is how much space they take up in my pack, but considering the ease of use and the quality of the end product, I'll sacrifice some pack space for a good "home-cooked" meal now and then. Not to mention the fact that since the bag has a zipper on it, it makes a great "trash" container that you can pack out of the camp.

Disclosure: The reviewer received a sample of this product from the brand or its representatives in exchange for a review.

Paul Lapierre GUIDE/OUTFITTER

When I am out for multiple days I have to watch my calorie count so not to crash. What would be the total calories of the pouch.

Amy

Hi! Sorry, I was so hungry I forgot to take a photo of the nutrition content! I looked it up on their website, and according to the nutrition label on the bag, one serving has 240 calories (so 480 for the entire bag). Additionally, there are 14g of protein in half the bag, so the entire bag would be 28 g of protein too! Hope this helps!