Mountain House Macaroni & Cheese

Weight 0.61 lb
Servings 3
Serving Size 1 cup

Avoid this meal unless you are looking for bland soup-like…

Summary

Avoid this meal unless you are looking for bland soup-like mac & cheese.

Pros

• Easy to prepare and clean up

Cons

• Bland taste
  • Directions require too much water

Recently went on a four-day camping trip with my son, nephews, and brother. Typically my brother and I bring fresh food for our meals. However, since we had some picky eaters we decided to let the boys pick out their own meals. I knew from prior experience that these are really only enough for one person so each person had their own meal.

I chose this meal for one of my dinners. First off, it is extremely easy to prepare, just boil water and pour in the bag, wait the allotted time. However, even after waiting a few minutes longer than directed, I found the macaroni to be under cooked and even with the recommended stirring, the cheese lumpy and not evenly distributed.

The flavor was bland, definitely bring along spices and/or hot sauce to add. Also, use less water than directed, as this meal will be more of a mac & cheese soup than a pasta dish if you use the recommended amount.

Better yet, avoid this altogether.

Probably the worst freeze dried meal this side of…

Summary

Probably the worst freeze dried meal this side of eggs that I can remember having.

Pros

• cook in pouch

Cons

• taste

I was planning a camping trip with my son and as part of that I let him pick out a few freeze dried meals. I wanted to try the chili-mac but my son has periodic mouth issues that make him shy away from anything that might be spicy. Fortunately, at least for him, this meal isn't spicy or tasty or flavorful.

The advantage to Mountain House meals is that it comes in a foil pouch that can be resealed so the meal can be cooked in the pouch.  The pouch is food storage bag, then the cooking pot and finally the garbage bag.  This is why I like these meals just add boiling water, no need to waste fuel simmering, and let sit.

What I didn't like was the flavor.  The macaroni still had a bit of unrehydrated crunch even after waiting more than the recommended ten minutes.  The "cheese"  sauce had no flavor, was thin and watery,  I'm sure its only function was to remind the eater that they were having mac-n-cheese and not just mac.

As with most of these meals even though they say dinner for two you need to serve them with something more.

Lousy. Skip this one. Bland and boring. Not much cheesy…

Summary

Lousy. Skip this one.

• No simmer time

Cons

• Zero taste
  • Expensive
  • Poor rehydration
  • Runny

Bland and boring. Not much cheesy taste, and nothing much of anything else.

Cooking was easy, like any boil-in-a-bag, but even with leaving it for many extra minutes, it still didn't cook properly.

We followed the directions carefully, but the macaroni stayed stiff and didn't expand very much. The sauce was runny, and in spite of everybody being hungry, there was still half a package left after supper.

You're better off with a box of Kraft Dinner. That's better tasting, and although you'll need more fuel to cook it, you'll be a lot happier with the result. And the cost is 1/10th that of the Mountain House brand.

These freeze-dried meals are the best of their kind…

These freeze-dried meals are the best of their kind that I have EVER tasted. They are lightweight to transport, made from quality ingredients and easy to make. We just had to boil the water needed, pour it into the bag and wait for a few minutes. The macaroni and cheese tasted great; I would just make sure that you bring the water filter needed to have the water for the food.

Editor's Note: The reviewer represents an online retailer that carries this product and brand.

Tÿcho

CampingMaxx reviewed three mountain house products and each has an identical review except that the type of food is changed in the fourth sentence.