Mountainsmith Crestone III

I have used several backpacks over the past several…

Design: Internal Frame
Size: 6100
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: 51lbs
Height of Owner: 5ft 10in

I have used several backpacks over the past several years, and I kept admiring the Crestone, but just didn't want to spend the money. I stumbled onto one at a sale the end of last year. I made the purchase, and I have been in heaven ever since.

This pack is a cinch to fit, with the Mountainsmith quick sizing system, just dial in your measurements. I imediately packed in about 40 lbs and started taking short walks, 3 miles or so, and I found that this pack was very confortable. I then upped the weight, and the pack continued to carry the load well.

This pack has numerous adjustments for how the pack fits to the body, which can be adjusted while you are walking. I used these, and I found this only made the pack even better.

On a recent backpacking trip, I loaded this pack to 51 pounds and set off for the wilds. I spent multiple days on a rouph trail that was up or down all of the time. I even found myself in a downpour, and thanks for the Mountainsmith raincover My pack was drier than myself.

Accessibility to the inside was a breeze, through the top or the front sipper, although it does require undoing several load compression straps. I have heard people complain about the number of straps on the Mountainsmiths, but it really controls the load inside, and keeps it tight, and I like that. I can live with the straps.

After my trip, I also found that I did not have the sore shoulders that I normally get when packing. I couldn't believe it. The lumbar pad fit in my back very well, and the pack felt like part of my body. I attribute this to the multiple load control adjustments. They really allow you to fit the pack to your personal preferences. The lumbar control straps were one of the nicest features of this pack. The other nice touch was the waistbelt, which has a hard plasticlike support incorporated into it. This keeps the waistbelt fitting properly, and thus giving you the optimal support.

I have found this pack to be the finest I have used to date, and in fact, I am looking no more, I am in heaven with the finest pack made. Take a look at Mountainsmith if you haven't before, I am sure you too will be converted.

While the Crestone is no longer made, Mountainsmith has continued the fine tradition in their current lines. Take a look.

This pack does not carry a heavy load very well. I…

Design: Internal
Size: 6000
Max. Load Carried: 60
Height of Owner: 72"

This pack does not carry a heavy load very well. I have heard this from several other backpackers. Either feels heavy on the hips or on the shoulders. Hard to equalize.

If you've owned or used a Mountainsmith Crestone III, please share your experience.

Mountainsmith Crestone III

The Crestone III has been discontinued.

The Mountainsmith Crestone III is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.