Mountainsmith Falcon 55

Volume 3295ci/54L (Extended: 3660ci/60L)
Weight 4 lb. 12 oz.
Torso 17”-22”

I love this backpack. It's lighter than the North…

Design: Backpack
Size: 55 - 60 Liters
Max. Load Carried: 25lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 11"
Price Paid: 148

I love this backpack. It's lighter than the North Face Crestone 60 and has almost just as much room. This is what I'm able to put INSIDE the pack: North Face Dolomite 20 degree sleeping bag (long version), Eureka Pinnacle Pass 2A tent and rainfly (with the poles on the outside of the pack), GSI Outdoors Bugaboo Base Camper Medium cook set. Inside the cookset is my Brunton Lander stove, 4 plates and a couple of nesting cups. Also inside the pack is my Black Diamond Apollo and Orbit lanterns, a couple of .6L fuel bottles and a butane canister for my stove. Even after all that in my pack, there is still enough room to put a couple of days worth of food in, plus I still haven't put anything in the pack's lid!

On the OUTSIDE, I have my tent poles on one side and a machete on the other side, plus there are lots of straps at the bottom of the pack for a sleeping pad or even another small tent. The side compression straps can be configured to go across the back of the pack to hold more stuff, however if I did that I couldn't have my poles and machete on the sides.

So let's recap: This back holds my tent, sleeping bag, stove, cookset, fuel, machete, food, little lanterns, and I still have space for stuff in the detachable lid.

The only reason I am giving this product 4.5 stars instead of 5 is because it took me about a dozen times to get it properly adjusted. The instructions on the lid appear to be generic, for example it shows the shoulder straps snapping in place but it really is adjusted with pull straps.

I highly recommend this pack! I think it is a shame no one has reviewed this back yet.

What can you say? This pack is awesome. I got it for…

Summary

What can you say? This pack is awesome. I got it for my teen and he is amazed with it. It is light and rugged.

Pros

• Many outside pockets for easy access gear on the trail
  • Three zippers top middle and bottom make getting to any gear very easy

Cons

• Not one , except I don't have my own

This pack is so light. I got it for my teen son and he is in love with it. I am amazed with it not only is there so many easy access points on this pack it is also easy to separate your gear inside.

Now, I will be turning in my pack that has done most of the Adirondacks high peaks and all the fire tower mountains in NY with me and get myself one of these to finish the forty six high peaks. I can't say enough about it.

Available January 2010. The Falcon 55 utilizes 22 recycled plastic 16-ounce bottles. It is made for extended backpacking trips with removable lid that converts to a lumbar pack.

Features: SlingShot detachable top lid that converts into a lumbar pack or shoulder sling. Separate sleeping bag compartment with internal divider. Vertical zippered fast access to main compartment. Front panel snowboard and snowshoe carry. Top panel attachment points.

Visit Mountainsmith's Falcon 55 page.

NEW FOR 2010! The do-it-all backcountry pack, designed for extended wilderness trips with a host of features to cover everything from mountaineering to canyoneering and everything in between. Separate sleeping bag compartment, detachable top lid, and options for snowboard/ski carry round out the package. With up to 60L of carrying capacity, this multi-day adventure pack can handle anything you throw at it. Made with 450d ReDura , the Falcon 55 utilizes 22 recycled plastic 16-ounce bottles. Save the planet, go backpacking!

- SunnySports

Wherever your adventure takes you, the Falcon 55 Pack from Mountainsmith will rise to the occasion. Able to perform at the heights of summits and the floors of canyons, it is a highly versatile, feature rich pack with ski carry options, ice axe loops, a removable lid, trekking pole mounts, and eco friendly construction that is just as easy on your back as it is on the environment.

- Mountain Gear

Load up the Mountainsmith Falcon 55 Pack when youre headed into the wilderness for an extended period of time. Numerous features make this pack ideal for backcountry excursions. And ample space lets you bring along as much trail mix as youd like.

NEW FOR 2010! The do-it-all backcountry Falcon 55 Backpack (Recycled) from Mountainsmith is designed for extended wilderness trips with a host of features to cover everything from mountaineering to canyoneering and everything in between. Separate sleeping bag compartment, detachable top lid, and options for snowboard/ski carry round out the package. With up to 60L of carrying capacity, this multi-day adventure pack can handle anything you throw at it. Made with 450d ReDura, the Falcon 55 utilizes 22 recycled plastic 16-ounce bottles. Save the planet, go backpacking!

- Altrec Outdoors

Mountainsmith Falcon 55

The Mountainsmith Falcon 55 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 16, 2013 at SunnySports.