Mountainsmith Spirit

Great day pack with unique breezeway through a trampoline…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Mountainsmith directly)

Summary

Great day pack with unique breezeway through a trampoline back. Reduces sweat and increases air circulation. Actually has type of shell behind trampoline suspension. Option for bladder. Sturdy and durable. I'd recommend for day outings or plain everyday use.

Pros

• Trampoline back
  • Option for bladder

Cons

• Smaller capacity
  • Water resistant only

Great pack for bike riders or day outings. It has an option to include a bladder. If you don't use it, its a great place for documents, wallet, etc. I received it as a gift and haven't looked back.

What makes this unique is also a reason that it can be seen as being a con.  It  has a trampoline back that will rest directly against you while wearing. Between the trampoline suspension (i.e. your back) and the pack is a hard shell to give it its shape and keep a breezeway (as they call it) to allow air circulation.  Check out my picture below. From the profile you can see this gap. Even when fully loaded there will still be this gap because of the shell. Unfortunately, the con is that this shell reduces the space available in the pack.  The shell is curved, and of course not directly against your back, thus reducing how much you can pack.

It is highly water resistant, but not waterproof.  The straps and buckles (at the chest and waist) are well constructed too.  I mainly use the chest buckle. I can see this being used for kids, women, or men.  I have only had for about one month, but I think it can take a beating being thrown in the trunk or against brush if bushwhacking.

As for accessibility and organization, the pack is smaller at the bottom and wider at the top, similar to an upside down pyramid of sorts.  This is mainly due to the construction/hard shell frame.

Well priced, durable.  I'd definitely recommend to others.  Great for kids taking on a light retreat or family vacation too. Another good aspect of the pack is that it has the option to include a bladder (not included though)

Peter1955

Same idea as the Deuter suspension system, then. What's the volume?

Daniel Oates

Peter, I had to double check online, but it's a 3L pack, not including the reservoir.

I have the older model, which is kind of a hybrid…

Source: bought it used

Summary

I have the older model, which is kind of a hybrid waist/daypack. I love it! It is amazingly comfortable, has hydration slots, clips and a pocket, and works perfectly for my mountain biking needs.

Pros

• Great design
  • Comfort
  • Ease of use

Cons

• None, for me...

If you've owned or used a Mountainsmith Spirit, please share your experience.

Mountainsmith Spirit

The Spirit has been discontinued.

The Mountainsmith Spirit is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 8, 2014 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new daypack (under 2,000 cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.