Indestructible, indispensable, 11th essential. I bought…

Summary

Indestructible, indispensable, 11th essential.

Pros

• Strong
  • Hangable
  • Versatile
  • Convenient
  • Packable

Cons

• Weight

I bought the MSR 10 liter dromedary bag about 5 years ago because I wanted a versatile form of water storage that did more than just quench my thirst.

I love backpacking around rivers a lot and was sick of walking to the river every time I needed to fill a bottle, wash a dish, wash my hands or fill my Jetboil for cooking. I also needed a reliable form of large capacity water storage for missions where water sources were far and few between.

I came across this gem and couldn't find any negative reviews. All I found was how indestructible this bag was and how convenient it was to hang from a tree. (the most notable review I ever read which sold me on it was a guy who said he had it hanging off his saddle and it was stabbed by a branch while riding and nothing happened.)

I wanted a water storage container that I knew I could depend on.

I loved the fact that it could be converted to a hydration bladder and had other optional accessories (get to them later).

It's has a very durable canvas like exterior with a plastic coated lining.

It has 6 metal grommets all around it and a very strong cord strung through them which allows you to hang it anywhere. I've hung it from trees or just thrown it on boulders.

It had a wide mouth opening (same as any wide mouth Nalgene) with a little screw off nozzle that has a tiny flip top (like the little flip top on those little 1.5/2oz Nalgene bottles I use for hot sauce).

cap.jpg

Take the wide mouth cap off and submerge it in the stream. It had a handy plastic rim around the opening with a handle to grab it by so you can hold it securely and open under flowing water.

Opening.jpg

Hang it anywhere and use the flip top to pour small amounts of water when needed or screw off the nozzle for larger amounts.

I've dropped the bag down granite embankments full of 10-15 pounds of water and nothing.

It's fallen when the stick it was hanging on snapped under its weight and all it did was plop down with a sloshy squish sound of a water bag.

OK, now the genius attachments.

BUY THE SPIGOT.

Spigot.jpg

It's a must.

It replaces the wide mouth cap and instead of a little nozzle you have a full service fast flowing on/off spigot that you just need to turn easily to fill your jetboil in 4 seconds.

I have seen a shower hose attachment that they sell online (hose coming off the spigot with a showerhead), but I already had an electric shower for back country car camping I bought for my girlfriend. I borrowed the hose/shower-head from that for a summer backpacking trip and my Drom bag turned into a shower for the both of us!!!!

I bought the hydration tube when I bought the bag but have only used it a few times.

msr-hydration-kit_related.jpg

I'm just not a hydration bladder guy. I like to chug water from a bottle.

The tube worked great though, had a twist lock so you don't waste water.

But this 10 liter bag is too big to fit in the special hydration area on my Osprey.

I had to clip it to the outside of my pack with a carabiner.

This bag is quite pack able.

It's not ultralight but not heavy at all for what it does for me. When empty just roll it up and shove it in your pack.

I know they came out with a lighter version but I'm not sure how strong it is.

If you like to backpack around water sources and stay at camp for a couple nights and want convenience and reliability, then grab one of these.

This has served as the camp water faucet for a group of six and for my own personal reservoir.

On a hot summer day it made a great cold shower (I suppose you could boil water and warm it up).

Or if you need a large capacity water storage for backpacking desert terrain or wherever you won't have frequent water sources then this is probably the most reliable way to carry water.

I'd trust my life with it.

Spigot is a must.

Nice review, sparkaj! Thanks for sharing it.

KiwiKlimber

I've been eyeing these on and off for a while now. I love/hate when reviews remind me of great gear that I want. Help review!

I have used all sizes of the dromedary bags in long…

Price Paid: Military issued

I have used all sizes of the dromedary bags in long range recon missions in Afghanistan where I couldn't afford to have a faulty hydration system. These bags have taken several beatings and served as many purposes to include being used as a shower and even a pillow in some cases.

2 heavy deployments later and I have yet to be disappointed.

I have borrowed the 10L dromedary from a friend a…

Source: borrowed it

Summary

I have borrowed the 10L dromedary from a friend a few times and love it! I have this dromedary on my list as one of my next purchases for sure.

Pros

• Very durable
  • Easy to fill and pour with additional cap

This dromedary stands up to a lot more than a plastic dromedary will. I have used it on a few treks and absolutely love it. It is very convenient that I am able to attach the dromedary to my backpack, instead of having to lug something by hand around to have water.

These bags are pretty much indestructible. I've had…

Summary

These bags are pretty much indestructible.

Pros

• Very, very tough

I've had two of these in the last 10 years. The first one didn't break, it got lost or stolen. I've tried Camelbak and Platypus bags, but they never last long.

I spent a lot of time in the woods doing trail or project work. The MSR bags hold up really well. The lace around the edge of the bag is useful for hanging it up or attaching to over full packs. The different caps and attachments are kind of cool too.

MSR Dromedary Bag, the only water bladder you'll ever…

Summary

MSR Dromedary Bag, the only water bladder you'll ever need.

Pros

• Leakproof, durable and will never fail you.

Cons

• None

I have been using the same MSR Dromedary Bag since 1989. It has been in caves, swamps, rivers, the ocean, mountains and even Mexico. It was never leaked or blown out.

I have tried CamelBak bags but they don't make it past 2 years. Their packs are top notch but the bladders don't last. Everyday you can find a CamelBak backpack and my old MSR Dromedary Bag on me or in the car.

My go-to water container for backpacking — ultra…

Summary

My go-to water container for backpacking — ultra durable, easy to use, different sized water streams. Would highly recommend to anyone backpacking — different sizes for different sized groups or extended periods without ability to obtain water. These are the most durable, easy to use water storage containers I have seen out there, and collapse to take up little space in the pack when not used.

Pros

• Convenient with MSR filters
  • Three water streams are very convenient

Cons

• Difficult to clean
  • Never ever put iodine in it (my fault) - taste will never come out

Great product, especially if you use an MSR filter or a Nalgene bottle (though those are a dying item) since the filter screws onto the dromedary. This makes pumping MUCH easier, and one person can do it for a group or couple.

I have had two 2-gallon droms for about 6 years and have used them on about 10 trips per year and they hardly even show wear — seriously I think they might never die, but at some point I will consider getting the ultralight ones due to their weight and the fact that I added iodine to mine once and they still taste like I put in iodine in every time (I'm not sure how they're able to depart such a strong taste every time several years after I put iodine in, but they do).

I tried to use them as a primary hydration system through buying a hose attachment, but I do not recommend this for anything but day trips where you have room in your pack – the nipple sticks straight out and is difficult to pack, and it is difficult to suck the water through.

I bought 6L bag. I always use it when I go to hike…

Summary

I bought 6L bag. I always use it when I go to hike a mountain. I think this bag is great and amazing as a water storage in my tent.

• Easy to use
  • Good quality

Cons

• The price

I use it to carry water for camping and hiking. Previously, I used much bottles to bring water. But I thought it was more easier to use this dromedary as water storage. This bag is really tough, seems durable, strong and should last for many times of use. I do not taste any plastic in the water.

If you're going all in with your hydration kit, this…

Summary

If you're going all in with your hydration kit, this is the way to go. If you're not willing to drop $90-$110 on this, get a Platypus, because you'll miss out on the real benefits of the system.

Pros

• Other MSR product pairing
  • Durable exterior
  • Easy camp water system
  • Side string helps

Cons

• The price (you have to buy hose seperatly)

Got these a month ago, and I've been on two kayaking trips with them. Love the 10 L for me, my friend got the 4 L. As previously stated in a past review someone left, it kinda sucks that you have to buy the hydration line separately. The upside is you get to use MSR's magnificent water filtration device (the internal, not external).

I can't tell you how awesome it was to go to the river, pull out some water and have 10 LITERS of filtered water for washing, drinking, cleaning, etc. It was plenty. Everyone in my group of 15 ended up using a bit and I only refilled it once. No one had any problems figuring it out.

I like the cords on the outside, great feature that allows for easy hanging. If you get the accessories, they are all really well made and seem durable, although I don't know for sure. As for the durability, it's great. I tend to throw it around a bit more than I should, but it held up flawlessly. Tough construction.

I have the 4 liter dromedary bag. what i like the…

I have the 4 liter dromedary bag. what i like the best is the flip up cap. it's so easy to fill other water bottles with different size openings from this bag. Of course, it's bombproof!!

We did a local purchase and got a 4 liter D-bag per…

Price Paid: issue

We did a local purchase and got a 4 liter D-bag per man. This was in 1996...still have mine! Don't use it all the time anymore, but enough throughout the years to remain impressed.

Only reason I gave it 4.5 stars is that if I gave it 5 it would start leaking just to prove me wrong!

UPDATE:

Using it since 1996, and it still works perfect! Just got back from a high desert Petroglyph hunting expedition, and it got our cooking water to the summit with zero issues. Love this product.

I've had the 10 liter bag for 2 years now and I don't…

I've had the 10 liter bag for 2 years now and I don't leave home without it. The first thing I do when pulling into camp is pull this out and go fill up and then hang it from a branch. The spouts offer a variety of pour options and I use it for everything from filling up my Jetboil to brushing my teeth to washing my hair and sometimes showering , this thing rocks.

The main reason I bought it was I found myself either having to visit a water source a second time before the night was over or first thing in the morning, not cool especially since I like to camp perched up above the landscape a bit for a nice view. Empty, it is light and rolls down nicely. It can also be used as a hydration bladder which I haven't tried but with a sipping tube adapter it can be done.

Mainly purchased this item to consolidate my water…

Mainly purchased this item to consolidate my water supply from multiple bottles to one bag. Well, I'm pleased with the construction, and pleased with the volume (almost 10.5 32oz Nalgene bottles' worth of water), and pleased with the versatility.

The attachment options are plentiful and accessories are available to allow drinking on the go, and showering with this bag. Another extreme plus is when this bag is not completely full, or if it is empty it can be rolled, folded, squashed into your pack or a deep jacket pocket.

There are two concerns I have. One, the food grade laminate on the inside tastes funny, but if you add electrolyte tablets or tang to your water you won't notice.

Two, 10L of water weighs a lot! A liter of water weighs 2.2 lbs, you do the math, so I haven't even thought about hiking with it full yet. All in all, this is a great product which will be in my pack for another season.

Can't beat 10 liters in one bag. Bought the hydration…

Can't beat 10 liters in one bag. Bought the hydration tube setup with it just in case. I have always run a Camelbak with a couple Nalgene bottles but wanted to try out the high capacity dromedary... Not dissappointed. Still trying to figure out how to mount some velcro on it but a mini carabiner has worked so far at hanging it wherever I have wanted to put it.