MSR DuraLite Fry Pan

My backpacking style is lightweight. Most of my meals…

My backpacking style is lightweight. Most of my meals only involve heating water and using a cozy to "simmer". I have been cooking with a Snowpeak 0.9 liter titanium pot into which I fit my alcohol supply and stove, pot gripper, spark source, windscreen, pot support, and a couple spoons.

But...my son has been asking for more home-like meals while on the trail, so I bought the MSR Duralite Fry Pan to handle pancakes and eggs in various forms.

What a pleasant surprise! I expected, and got, good non-stick performance from the interior coating and even heating from the just-thick-enough aluminum pan body. What I didn't expect was...

-- The pan sides are high enough to give me the same volume as my 0.9 liter pot, so I don't have to bring that pot too.

-- The broad and dark pan bottom absorb heat much more efficiently than my titanium pot did. I switched from a top burner alcohol stove to a cat can sideburner (both homemade), and am getting much faster boils on less fuel.

-- No handle = no wasted weight, assuming that you already have a pot holder.

This fry pan is much more versatile than one would expect. You can use it to cook almost any stovetop type meal. It's a good choice for single pan duty serving a couple lightweight backpackers. The setup would be perfect if MSR sold their lid separately. I've made do with a plastic plate that happens to fit.

Wish I'd figured this setup out before forking over the dough for the titanium setup.

i love this pan! When they say nonstick, they mean…

i love this pan! When they say nonstick, they mean nonstick. It heats pretty fast. u get ur money's worth with this pan.

Overall a great pan. Heats evenly and quickly. Non-slip…

Overall a great pan. Heats evenly and quickly. Non-slip surface on bottom is a great feature. Cleans fairly easy.

Bring out your inner backcountry gourmet with the lightweight, hard-wearing DuraLite Frypan from MSR. You won't have to worry about burning your food with the nonstick, DuraCoat treatment, and packing is easy when you nest it with other MSR cookware.

- Mountain Gear

CLOSEOUTS . MSR's Duralite fry pan has a non-stick DuraCoat surface for easy cleanup and even heating in an ultralight design. Available Colors: SEE PHOTO.

- Sierra Trading Post

The MSR DuraLite fry pan is the lightest hard-anodized fry pan MSR makes. It measures 7.2 inches in diameter and weighs just 5.4oz (153g). MSR's DuraLite Cookware is triple coated with a nonstick finish, and 40% lighter than most.

- CampSaver.com

The lightest hard anodized fry pan on the market, this little non-stick number is perfect for the backcountry gourmet. Take it along with the cookware you already own or use it on its own.

- SunnySports

The lightest hard anodized aluminum fry pan on the market, perfect for the backcountry gourmet. Take it along with the cookware you already have, or use it on it's own. Weighs: 5.4 oz. Diameter: 7.25 inches.

- Campmor

MSR DuraLite Fry Pan

The DuraLite Fry Pan has been discontinued.

The MSR DuraLite Fry Pan is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new pot/pan, check out the best reviewed current models.