New Balance Minimus Trail

men's
Weight 7.1 oz / 201 grams

Lightweight and comfortable for moderate hiking and…

Summary

Lightweight and comfortable for moderate hiking and wearing around camp. No major complaints after a week of hiking in Moab. Worth the $ in my opinion.

Pros

• No socks
  • Quick and easy to wash and dry
  • Pack good

Cons

• No socks, best for warmer weather
  • Need washing weekly to avoid foot odor
  • Sole peeling back a little near toe after 1 week of rugged use

I bought these for hiking for a week in Moab. The weather started off cooler and I really wanted warm socks on so I started the trip with my old running shoes and thick socks. Once temps reached 50+ degrees, these were my go-to, do-anything shoes for the rest of the trip.

I put about 20 trail miles on these shoes with no discomfort. The hike down and back up the fairly steep Gooseberry Trail in Canyonlands NP was great. Traction is not amazing but as good or slightly better than regular running shoes.

No problems so far with stepping on sharp rocks — soles are flexible but strong. It looks like the sole is peeling away from the cloth where it wraps up near my toe but I don't think it will be a problem (Moab was tough on them). I love not needing/ wearing socks. These shoes feel like slippers, sandals, and running shoes mixed together.

Great for around camp as long as temps are above 50 degrees. I even enjoyed them for the long drive to Moab. GF approves of the looks. A little foot odor after a week of use in warm weather but threw them in the wash with a load of towels and they are good as new : )

Manufacturer's Description refers to the men's version

Minimus is New Balance's departure from "traditional" athletic footwear, inspired by Good Form Running and designed to be worn with or without socks. The slip-on MW10 Minimus Wellness shoe is sublimely comfortable, engineered for post-run recovery as well as for other casual wear. Also known as the "Minimus Life," this shoe is your perfect everyday approach to the minimalist lifestyle.

Visit New Balance's Men's Minimus Trail page.

The New Balance MT10 is a minimal trail running shoe that delivers the benefits of barefoot running with the protection of a lightweight trainer.

- EMS refers to the men's version

New Balance Minimus Trail

$99.99 (men's)

The New Balance Minimus Trail is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 5, 2014 at Massey's Outfitters.