New Balance Minimus Trail

Lightweight and comfortable for moderate hiking and…

Summary

Lightweight and comfortable for moderate hiking and wearing around camp. No major complaints after a week of hiking in Moab. Worth the $ in my opinion.

Pros

• No socks
  • Quick and easy to wash and dry
  • Pack good

Cons

• No socks, best for warmer weather
  • Need washing weekly to avoid foot odor
  • Sole peeling back a little near toe after 1 week of rugged use

I bought these for hiking for a week in Moab. The weather started off cooler and I really wanted warm socks on so I started the trip with my old running shoes and thick socks. Once temps reached 50+ degrees, these were my go-to, do-anything shoes for the rest of the trip.

I put about 20 trail miles on these shoes with no discomfort. The hike down and back up the fairly steep Gooseberry Trail in Canyonlands NP was great. Traction is not amazing but as good or slightly better than regular running shoes.

No problems so far with stepping on sharp rocks — soles are flexible but strong. It looks like the sole is peeling away from the cloth where it wraps up near my toe but I don't think it will be a problem (Moab was tough on them). I love not needing/ wearing socks. These shoes feel like slippers, sandals, and running shoes mixed together.

Great for around camp as long as temps are above 50 degrees. I even enjoyed them for the long drive to Moab. GF approves of the looks. A little foot odor after a week of use in warm weather but threw them in the wash with a load of towels and they are good as new : )

If you've owned or used a New Balance Minimus Trail, please share your experience.

New Balance Minimus Trail

$99.99 (men's)

The New Balance Minimus Trail is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 4, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.

men's