New Balance MT610

Great trail running shoe. Lightweight, flexible, and…

Price Paid: ~$50

Summary

Great trail running shoe. Lightweight, flexible, and breathable. Highly recommended for trail runners or just those who want athletic shoes with stronger grip. For those with narrow to regular feet.

Pros

• Breathable
  • Reasonably priced
  • Great grip and flexibility

Cons

• No wide shoe options

Bought these shoes from an online retailer. Fits true to size. I actually tried them on in store, then purchased online elsewhere as it was about $10 less expensive.

I use two options when hiking: boots and trail running shoes. For those hikes with less elevation or less rocky surfaces, I go straight to these. I've had them for about 2 months and have been very satisfied.

They are breathable and have great traction. I was nervous at first with the wider grips on the sole.  Go wider and bulkier to really grip or do I go smaller with more numerous grip? That was my question. I didn't know if rocks or anything would get stuck or if I would really feel pressure on my foot where the grips are. Happy to say that everything is fine.

See the picture below, there are only 7 total rows of grip as well as how flexible the shoe is. Traction and temperature control are great.

I also like how breathable they are.  While they are not waterproof, they are so breathable that you take them off (if you overnight camp) and they will be dry in no time (easily by morning, bone dry). No real break in period required for me.

This shoe is not for anyone who would need a wide option (at least no wide available at the moment). I do have a wider toe box than normal, but these still fit well.  Depends on your foot, these still may work.  You may look into get inserts.  These are relatively minimalistic, but still have a good insert in my opinion. It all comes down to your size and preference.  I'm fine with the ones they came with.

Despite being tighter to my foot (which is great for trail running so you don't roll your ankle) they actually make me feel like I have sure footing.  For example, I have done squats with them and I feel very balanced.  The base is wider than the insert and provides this stability.

Overall, I'd recommend these shoes to anyone who want good trail runners at reasonable price or just athletic shoes. I used to run cross country and these would have been great.  Not as expensive as running flats, yet still light and can handle the terrain.

IMG_20130720_182112.jpg

New Balance MT610

The New Balance MT610 is not available from the stores we monitor.