Nike Air Teewinot II

I have never had a better all-weather approach shoe…

Price Paid: $40 outlet

I have never had a better all-weather approach shoe then that of the Nike Teewinot II. Price vs. Proformance no other shoe comes close. In fact I only stumbled on this web site review looking for another low price pair of these great shoes.

A very nice approach shoe from the folks at Nike.

Materials: sticky rubber soles, leather/mesh upper
Use: approaches, around town
Break-in Period: minimal
Price Paid: $55 on sale

A very nice approach shoe from the folks at Nike. They are relatively ligthweight, have nice sticky soles, are very comfortable and seem like good value for money. Frankly I've been a bit put off lately by some of the 'climbing shoe' companies asking upwards of $100 for a pair of approach shoes; then, running into quality problems with them!

To get a comfortable fit, I went up half a size with mine. They are super comfortable now; but, maybe a bit loose for serious climbing. So, for me, I'll use these more for approach hikes and kicking around in than I will for actual 5th class climbing. I've played around a little bit with these -- doing some easy bouldering -- and they aren't bad. Definitely not as good as my old guide tennies for actual climbing. But, my guide tennies aren't very good for the long hike in...

Teewinots offer a double lace system that lets you cinch down the toe area separately from the rest of the foot. It's kind of an interesting idea, but I didn't find it to be a big deal in actual usage.

Overall, a very nice shoe for getting you to the cliff, easy scrambling and kicking around.

Nike Air Teewinot II

The Air Teewinot II has been discontinued.

The Nike Air Teewinot II is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at Altrec Outdoors.

If you're looking for a new approach shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review