A really comfortable mid that can overlap into four…

Summary

A really comfortable mid that can overlap into four seasons. The leather upper is soft and needs little break-in but provides some support, and the sole and midsole do a nice job protecting your feet - but I wouldn't call the midsole cushy. The lacing hardware is sturdier than most. Waterproof membrane makes them a good choice for rain and mud. Overall, a nice boot.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Waterproof
  • Deep sole treads
  • Well made, should be durable
  • Insoles

Cons

• Laces untie easily

With five months of hiking and walking under the treads, it's time to review the Bridger. This is a mid-high boot, all leather, but soft on the outside—nubuck. My size 11.5 pair weighs 2 pounds 13 ounces. I have been using them everywhere but got them as a change of pace for my heavier Limmer boots when I train with 40-60 pounds on my back. I used a discount at REI, so they set me back about $115.

20170107_155830.jpg

20170107_162942.jpg

Fit/Comfort

These fit true to size. My feet are pretty wide in the front, and the toe box works well with a reasonably thick sock. Oboz shoes all come with a great insole—thicker padding under the sole and heel along with a hard plastic arch support. Much better than most stock insoles. The inside of the shoe is lined with some sort of fabric—not a leather lining.
20150320_121458.jpg
Unfortunately, I can't use these because I have custom orthotics. The laces easily secure your feet snugly; I suggest double-knotting them, because the laces are slippery and have a habit of untying.

20161120_135304.jpg
20170107_162926.jpg
Check out the metal lacing hardware near the ankle—very robust, better than most for a boot at this price point.

Support/Traction

The midsole seems to be firm EVA, and the shoe has a 3/4 length plastic shank. The combination has shielded my feet well on the rocky trails nearby. This is not a particularly soft sole/midsole combination—the leather didn't need any significant break-in, but the sole/midsole under your feet feels pretty hard. Under your feet, these feel a lot more firm than Oboz's Sawtooth or a couple of different Merrell low shoes I have worn over the years.

I read somewhere that there is a plastic plate under the forefoot—I believe it. Though not as supportive as a full-grain all leather boot with a hard midsole, they provide more ankle support and protection from pointy rocks underfoot than my son's Merrell mids (we now wear the same size, so I compared).

The sole has a fairly deep tread and is quite hard, again a lot harder than Oboz's mids. That translates into a sole that wears extremely well. It also sacrifices some grip on hard rocks compared to softer or stickier rubber soles. I'm a fan of approach shoes that generally have great grip on rocks.
20170107_162934.jpg

20161120_135316.jpg

Waterproofness/Moisture Handling

These have a waterproof/breathable membrane, and it works. They kept my feet dry on a couple of rainy hikes and some slogging in the mud. No leaks yet. The membrane and leather outer does make them warmer than a non-waterproof boot, but they are not as warm as my thicker all leather boots. Pretty average for this kind of boot. I have to admit, my feet don't tend to overheat. Because they have a membrane, I haven't treated the leather.

Durability

So far, so good, and they should prove to be long-lasting for a shoe you can't resole. As I already noted, the sole is fairly hard rubber and wears slowly, the metal hardware is excellent, and this is an all leather boot. It also has a very durable toe cap, something Oboz does on a number of their shoes.
20170107_172401.jpg

I have walked maybe 75-100 miles in these boots, and so far, nothing is pulling loose, tearing, ripping, or really showing much wear at all—just in some spots on the sole.

Where I Have Used Them

Pretty varied.  Local dirt trails, rocky trails by the Potomac River, pavement, and a couple of times recently in the snow. I have been using them for training with a larger backpack, the goal being to avoid an inopportune ankle twist with a lower shoe while providing a change of pace from my very sturdy and heavier leather boots. They have also been my choice in the rain because they have the waterproof membrane.

I used them a little less during the summer when it was really hot, as I have a few pair of hiking shoes that are better-ventilated, better choices for our normally hot and humid summers. On the other hand, they have been great hiking in the teens and twenties with a decent pair of wool socks.

Conclusion

I like this brand. They do a decent job fitting wider feet—a plus or a shortcoming, I guess. I already wore out a pair of their low shoes and reviewed a low shoe of theirs that is more of an approach shoe. This is a lot more boot than either of those, and it is very well-executed. I highly recommend them. Put a different pair of laces on these, make them available with a no-membrane option, I might give them five stars.

Nice review, Andrew. Thanks! Out of curiosity, are you training for any specific outdoor trips?

andrew f.

still jonesing for some time in the presidentials. I don't solo in the winter, so working on some friends.

LoneStranger

I tested out the insulated version of these for the RC last year and loved em. Wore them a few times recently and was reminded of how much I enjoy the rocker. Feet seem to want to roll down the trail in them whether it is dirt or rock under foot.

FlipNC

Thanks for the review. I'm looking for a new boot in this style and your description of foot size sounds like this may be a good option. Too many thin toed boots out there.

Andrew, you need to learn how to tie your shoes correctly! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlV8uNNrbKY

andrew f.

pretty easy knot to learn. i'll try it in the field. thanks!

I bought these boot just about a year ago and I'm…

Summary

I bought these boot just about a year ago and I'm quite pleased.

Out of the box fit was good and a trip to REI got me into a size that was best. It took a week or so for my upper ankle to adjust to the padding, but I'm happy as a clam now. They really are waterproof, very comfortable, and seem to be lasting after a year of constant use.

I wear these for about 50% of my daily footwear and for trail hiking in New England. I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Great traction
  • Look nice (IMHO)
  • Designed in Montana

Cons

• Soles can slip on smooth/polished floor
  • Made in China

I shopped around for a new boot for quite some time. I wanted a hiking boot that I could wear in the city without looking like a hipster lumberjack, something that would keep my feet dry and warm, a product that supports folks that live around me and something that would last.

I found Oboz during my search and they satisfied most of my criteria. Because they were from Montana I decided to take a chance on the "local guy", give them a bit of money for their effort and see what they make.

Out of the box they are an attractive boot. Mine are brown and black with subtle orange accents on the lugs and trim. They slip on easily enough and snug up to my ankles with confidence. The size was a bit off so I exchanged then for a pair 1/2 size different (larger, I think). Perfect fit.

There were some uncomfortable pressure points on the front of my upper ankle, but I loosened the laces for about a week to give my body time to adjust. Now I lace them all the way up, tighter for more support, if needed. There is just enough padding in the upper collar for a comfortable, snug fit.

I hadn't thought of it until now but I've never had to empty ANYTHNG out of my boots! I wear them in snow, gravel... all sorts of terrain.

These boots seem to have a waterproof bootie layer. I constantly walk through water with total confidence. The outer leather gets wet (of course), but my feet always stay dry. I splash through 3-inch deep puddles as they come up, but I think what I most appreciate is walking through wet grass or brush all day and not getting my feet wet.

These are my winter boots. Because my feet are dry they stay as warm as I'm prepared to stay. Winter wool socks make these boots great for tromping through snow and slush, lighter socks make for a nice summer hike.

So how did the experiment go? I like to make sure that my hard earned dollars are well spent and given to folks that deserve it. These folks at Oboz have proven themselves with this boot. They seem to have a strong, ethical, well run business and I wouldn't hesitate giving them more of my money.

I tried them out based on a few things I read and I'll stay with them because they made a damn nice boot.

Hi detay! Great first review. I hope you will post more!

Welcome to Trailspace, detay61! Thanks for sharing your first review. I'd love to see some pics of your Oboz boots.

KiwiKlimber

I second what the others have said, this is a great first review. Thanks for sharing. A couple attached photos of the shoes would make this great review even better.

Rob R

These look very similar to Kenetrek Boots based in Bozeman, MT. Does anyone know if a parent company for Oboz exists? Just curious. Even the name of the boot is similar.

@Rob, I believe Oboz, which started in 2007, is independent. However, it is also a Bozeman, Montana, company like Kenetrek, so there may be a connection there (beyond both naming their footwear after local spots). http://obozfootwear.com/why-oboz/company

Rob R

Thanks Alicia

Great three-season hiking boots. These boots are comfortable…

Summary

Great three-season hiking boots. These boots are comfortable on long hikes, up tough trails, through mud and water. Awesome grip on rocks and boulders. Look great, feel great. After a year I have no complaints.

Pros

• True to size
  • Warm
  • Dry
  • Comfortable with no breaking-in period
  • High enough for ankle support, but not too high to be stiff
  • Great grip on rocks and logs and do not bog down in mud
  • Work great with Microspikes
  • Light

Cons

• A little too snug for heavyweight socks
  • Pricey

I have worn these Oboz boots through summer, fall, early and late winter, and spring. They are comfortable in the summer with lightweight socks, no sweating, no blisters. Cooler weather they are great with midweight socks, warm and dry. I do not wear them in the dead of winter because they are a bit snug with heavy weight socks.

My first hike with these boots was a full 8 miles in the Adirondacks and they needed no breaking in. Waterproof kept my feet dry and comfortable. They are high enough to offer great ankle support in tough terrain, but not too high. They work great with gaiters and Microspikes.

They are lightweight to make hiking easy but durable leather construction. After climbing for miles you do not even think about them being on your feet. And they look great.

Love these boots. I got the red and will be getting another pair in the neutral brown (a girl likes to coordinate her outfit sometimes—even on the trails)...

Welcome to Trailspace, Melissa! Thanks for sharing your first review with us. Got any pics of your Oboz boots you could show in your review?

melissa mead

I am happy to be here Alicia. I have gotten a lot of very helpful information through Trailspace, and rely on reviews to help decide what gear to get. As well as tracking down the best prices. I don't seem to have a good pic I can zoom in on so I will get some this weekend. I have a hiking trip planned for next weekend and will be using some new gear I just purchased.. Osprey Aura 65 ltr pack, Siera Design tent and Klymit sleeping pad. Can't wait to try them out. I have a lot of gear I have collected and will review now that I have joined trailspace.

1 year ago

We're glad to have you, Melissa! It's always nice to hear that Trailspace has been helpful for other outdoors people, like yourself. Have a great trip!

1 year ago

I bought these boots based upon recommendations from…

Summary

I bought these boots based upon recommendations from the staff at REI. I used them during a weekend camp out with the Boy Scouts and cannot be happier with them.

They felt broken in from the moment I put them on and stayed comfortable over the next 36 hours. My feet stayed dry and the arch support was excellent. Definitely recommend them.

• Great support
  • No break-in time required
  • Quality craftsmenship

Cons

• None so far