Oregon Scientific Handheld Weather Forecaster with Alarm Clock

My portable weather heads-up. One of those things…

Price Paid: 13EU on sale

Summary

My portable weather heads-up.

Pros

• Very accurate
  • Dual purpose clip
  • Illuminator display (very cool)

Cons

• Uses 2xCR2032 batteries that drain fast
  • Can give false humidity readings when wet

One of those things that never left my hip belt since I bought it.

DSC00529.jpg

Accuracy. What is a weather station if it's not accurate? Fortunately this little guy's maximum deviation is 0.3 Celsius and 4% humidity compared to a traditional mercury thermometer. So it's super accurate in by book! And I tried a lot of weather stations over the years (although not a single portable one) for home usage and none delivered that accuracy.

You also get alarm clock with snooze function, date, moon phase, day display? (I don't know how to write this down so..), weather trend depending on how fast temperature/humidity shifts and last but not least illuminator function with high contrast when the batteries are good (very handy inside a freezing tent at night).
DSC00860.jpg
Also super handy feature: on the back side lies a recessed lock button that when pressed for more that 2 seconds a padlock appears on the screen (right next to humidity readout) followed by a confirmation beep. That essentially locks every other button from accidentally being pressed, especially the backlight/snz button that relies in the top right corner and can be easily pushed against my belly while hiking.
DSC00858.jpg

The belt clip can resume a flat position for mounting...well...on a belt or to an angled position for desktop position or even removed completely.
DSC00855.jpg

DSC00857.jpg

DSC00573.jpg

DSC00854.jpg

Cons: Battery life around 4-5 months tops when not fooling around with the illuminator.

Also if snow melts or water/sweat (when in your chest pocket etc) and gets inside the unit humidity can be stuck to 99% until the water evaporates completely. This is not a problem, but a fact.

I've been carrying this weather station for almost five years now without a hitch and can definitely say that I will buy this again if this one is broken in a heartbeat.
DSC00087.jpg

Thanks, Oregon Scientific!

Nice review, Nick. Out of curiosity about how much does it weigh with batteries? And do you use it more for the fun factor or does it ever factor into your outdoor plans?

Nick Mesarhakis

It weighs 75gr. with batteries and a small lanyard (the one in the top left corner). By the time I get a prognosis it's already too late so I just monitor the fluctuations myself and decide when it's time to pick up my pace if the weather gets worse plus the "fun factor" of course!

Thanks, Nick!

Oregon Scientific Handheld Weather Forecaster with Alarm Clock

The Handheld Weather Forecaster with Alarm Clock has been discontinued.

The Oregon Scientific Handheld Weather Forecaster with Alarm Clock is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 25, 2010 at Mountains Plus.

If you're looking for a new weather instrument, check out the best reviewed current models.